Bowed front leg

catlove615

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 22 year old cat, who has been arthritic for several years, today started having one of his front legs bowed outward. I was startled when I saw it as he was standing at his food bowl, and also as he walked across the room. My vet has always felt of something unusual like this to see if the cat reacts, indicating pain. So I felt of his leg, and he did not react. I will contact my vet tomorrow, and see what she has to say. He won't be able to have surgery due to his age, but perhaps there's something else that can be done. She has already told me that she won't prescribe pain meds. He gets an Adequan injection monthly, but I can't tell whether it has helped or not with his arthritis.

Has anyone had a cat whose front leg suddenly became bowed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask the vet about an x-ray to see if that would shed any light on the bowing. Most cats don't even need any kind of sedation for an x-ray. Is he limping?

Also, ask about Solensia, it is newer drug for cats to control pain associated with arthritis, but acts a bit differently than standard pain meds. I know of another member on this site who give both Adequan and Solensia to their cat and has had favorable results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlove615

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my kitty to the vet this morning. She said the bowing is occurring because of pain in his foot. When he first started walking around this morning, there was no bowing, but then it started up again.

Regarding Solensia, my vet let me know about it first thing. So he received an injection. I'm hoping so much that it will help him have less pain in his remaining time (he's almost 22). He moves very slowly. I just looked at some YouTube videos on Solensia and it looks encouraging. Very few videos so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlove615

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. No I haven't.

Did she say why? This is a 22 year old cat. It would seem to me that his comfort is absolutely paramount.

Would you be interested in talking with to a vet at a different clinic, such as a cat-only clinic?

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Directory
Please see my post about Solensia. I'm excited about it. At last there is a practical pain med for feline OA. Whether it will help him at his very advanced age remains to be seen. I'll post updates.