Bovidae Allergy or Intolerance

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey folks,
I found out earlier this year that the source of a weird red spot on my cat's gums was coming from eating beef and lamb. Once I removed those proteins from his diet, the spot disappeared completely within a week or two. His energy level went up and he stopped doing a circus (wanting me to follow him around the apartment with food) at meal times. I knew that for some reason, bison would sometimes give him constipation and wondered why that was, especially since it's marketed as hypoallergenic. It turns out that cows, sheep, goats, and bison are all in the bovidae family. I figured I'd share that fun fact here since I know beef is a common allergen. If your cat has issues with beef and/or lamb, it's possible that goat and bison might be or become issues too due to them all being related genetically.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great to know!

We too have the circus act for Magnus before his beef allergy was known.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Who knew! Thanks for posting this information. Have you figured out a diet that works for your kitty?
You're welcome! I had no idea sheep and goats were related to cows, rofl. Thankfully my cats have a variety of meats so removing bovidae wasn't too bad. They eat homemade raw food so I can get turkey, pork, rabbit, kangaroo, pheasant, duck, venison, and quail for them at various grocery stores and butcher shops.