Bottle kitten pretty vocal after meals

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I acquired an approx 2 weeks old bottle kitten this afternoon. He(?) was found last night. He came home with me approx 2:30 this afternoon. He was very, very vocal, which I assumed was just hunger, but he spit up some white curdled milk shortly after I picked him up. (not sure if it was KMR or something else) When I gave him KMR he kept it down, and slept for about 3 hours, then woke up hungry. I fed him again, and he got loud and distressed sounding again (but didn't spit up this time). He finally settled down and fell back to sleep.

I did get him to pee with each meal, and poop a little. It's a bit soft, but not bad for a stressed baby. He will purr when I stroke him, so he's not completely unhappy. Any idea what his complaint could be? Do kittens colic? Any ideas to make him comfortable? (In addition to just wanting him to feel well, I have to take him to work with me to keep up with feedings - definitely best if he's a quieter eat-and-sleep type for another week or so.)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can get him to a vet on Tuesday, but not before (holiday weekend in the states). I'm glad to say that the description of colic doesn't sound like what he is doing. He's angsty after a meal, but he settles down and sleeps. It's very possible that the people who found him gave him cow's milk. He's vigorous, takes his meal enthusiastically, burps, and doesn't have a fever, so hopefully a few hours will see him put right.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure he really needs to go to a vet. Unless its a vet well experienced with small kittens, and whom can give you advices. And be your contact in the future, as you are his paying patient.

I think you yourself mentioned the possibilities. He feels alone, or has some colic. He burps well you say.

What kmr do you use? Because its apparently not cow milk. But goats milk is OK, and sometimes even terric.

IF you think its colic, and you already do burp him, you can always try with a drop or two of simethicone in every second meal.
the same as for human babies.

Also, its possible you may give him more often, every second hour, but perhaps a little lesser portions. Some need it, not all.

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning all! We had a pretty good night. He was quieter this morning after his meal, and ate really well. He is still chatty, but doesn't sound as loud and unhappy now. He walks a little bit, and tried to follow my dog around when I put him on the floor. After about 5 minutes of play, he went straight to sleep on his hot water bottle.

Edit: I am using Pet Ag KMR. I have had good experiences with it before, but can find goat's milk if we need to experiment with it.

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little dude is much better after 36 hours on proper food. He still chats a little, but the loud unhappy crying has stopped. (Which is really good - I have a blind foster cat in the house who does not deal well with stress.) He is gaining weight and eager to explore as much as his little legs will allow. Following the dog is one of his favorite games. But mostly I am happy to report, after 5 minutes or so of exploring and play, he is sleeping soundly between meals.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a great update, thank you!!
Have you tried cat music for your blind furbaby? Spotify has a collection of harp music called Cat In My Arms :)