Bottle Feeding Kitten Help

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! First post here so I’m hoping I do this right. My cat had kittens on Tuesday 6/29. She had 4, one unfortunately passed this morning. I think due to KFS. The others are doing great. Yesterday their weights were 149.1g, 116.2 g, and 111.6g. Today when I weighed them 2 gained 6 and 14 g. But the 111g one was 100g… 4 hours later she is 97g. She’s still very active, moving like litter mates, breathing normally and nursing (I’ve witnessed her nursing on different nipples, and on the back nipples a few times) I can’t get her to take a bottle. But I’m not sure why she’s loosing weight? They’re just 3 days old, and the other 2 are doing fine. But she’s loosing weight? Any ideas, or tips on what to do? I have premixed liquid KMR on hand.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s losing weight you need to hand feed her with formula and a syringe. Weight loss is never good. She is clearly not latching well or suckling well. She needs help or you may lose her.

Begin hand feeding with powdered kitten formula and a syringe every 2 hours until she is gaining well and able to nurse on her own. She must gain 6-10 grams per day minimum to thrive. You must feed around the clock every 2 hours theough the night until she catches up. Try to get 1-3mLs in her each feeding. If she wants more, give more.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! First post here so I’m hoping I do this right. My cat had kittens on Tuesday 6/29. She had 4, one unfortunately passed this morning. I think due to KFS. The others are doing great. Yesterday their weights were 149.1g, 116.2 g, and 111.6g. Today when I weighed them 2 gained 6 and 14 g. But the 111g one was 100g… 4 hours later she is 97g. She’s still very active, moving like litter mates, breathing normally and nursing (I’ve witnessed her nursing on different nipples, and on the back nipples a few times) I can’t get her to take a bottle. But I’m not sure why she’s loosing weight? They’re just 3 days old, and the other 2 are doing fine. But she’s loosing weight? Any ideas, or tips on what to do? I have premixed liquid KMR on hand.
I agree with SArthur.
How is it going? Did you got an useful kmr? Which one? Goats milk is OK too, and raw goats milk is very good.

Kittens whom have momma are often relutctant for bottle, so you will probably need to use a needleless syringe or a dropper.
Train some at first, its not entirely easy for a first timer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the responses! So I tried multiple times last night to get this baby to take the bottle and she would FIGHT her way out of the burrito wrap and refused to take it. I unfortunately don’t have a syringe nipple, but will get one today to have on hand! I weigh them daily at 5pm (that’s when she was 100g and then 97g at 9pm) but I weighed her this morning just to check on her and she was 104g!!! I’ll weigh her again this evening, and check back in!

I gave mom KMR last night with her food and will continue that the next few weeks. I got PetAg premixed KMR, it was the only one my Petsmart had and everything else was closed already.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the responses! So I tried multiple times last night to get this baby to take the bottle and she would FIGHT her way out of the burrito wrap and refused to take it. I unfortunately don’t have a syringe nipple, but will get one today to have on hand! I weigh them daily at 5pm (that’s when she was 100g and then 97g at 9pm) but I weighed her this morning just to check on her and she was 104g!!! I’ll weigh her again this evening, and check back in!

I gave mom KMR last night with her food and will continue that the next few weeks. I got PetAg premixed KMR, it was the only one my Petsmart had and everything else was closed already.
Some do use this premixed KMR and are happy. but some feels the powdered one is more reliable. Others say; do have home such a little bottle for emergency cases in the middle of the night; such a little bottle is cheap. And if necessary, get more of some other kmr when the shops opens.

As long as it works for you, no constipation and no diarrhea, you can proceed. :)

But try to get goats milk during the time. Goats milk is an usual alternative if kmr doesnt work out.
Raw is excellent (fresh or frozen), but for example, Meyenberg makes an OK powdered variation. I know rescuers whom use this as their preferred kmr. You can often find it in the bakery section at Walmart.
Just be sure its a full fat variation, no funny low fat diet variation.

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, me again! Today while petting my cat who had kittens on 6/29. I noticed her one upper boob is swollen? Full? I’m not sure. I researched Mastitis, and it doesn’t feel warm, she’s letting the kittens nurse, she lets me touch it, and it’s not red that I can see. Could it just be that that boob doesn’t get nursed on?
I’ve done so much research and thought I was prepared (and had a bit more time) when I clearly am not 😭
Thank you for all the help!

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be that it is full of milk...I would watch her, and if she runs a fever, I would take her to a vet. Will she let kittens nurse on that nipple?

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be that it is full of milk...I would watch her, and if she runs a fever, I would take her to a vet. Will she let kittens nurse on that nipple?
She doesn’t not let them. But there’s only 3 and they usually go for the lower nipples first. But I tried to put one on that nipple and she didn’t seem to mind.

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to update.. I got home and moms boob was emptied and back to normal! PHEW!

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to update everyone on the kitten! They are 1 week old today! And the baby that was loosing weight is now 168 grams and the first one to start opening it’s eyes!
CD75F001-6437-4205-9AC5-0912860EF55B.jpeg

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I tried researching online, but found conflicting answers. My cat had kittens on 6/29, so this Tuesday they will be 2 weeks old. Any recommendations for deworming them at home? Best dewormer I can buy in store, or online? Any tips?
Thankful for any advice!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually you can wait a little more. But if they seems heavy infested, you cant wait much longer.

If the kittens were flea infested, (fleas are an inbetween host for tape worm) you must give them an all round dewormer. The british Milbomax is said to be relatively mild and may be used for kittens over 2 weeks of age.

If they are not flea infested, its usually enough with a round worm dewormer.
Pyrantel is a common substance, and its fairly sure and fairly mild.

Best is of course, if your vet recommends something suitable.

Otherwise, go to your local pharmacy, or a well sorted pet shop.
Look on what they have (write it up) and google...

Because some OTC brands arent reliable, while other are OK.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do you want to deworm them so young? Do you see tapeworms? Does their mother have worms? Are you flea-infested?

In most cases you would treat the mother first and address the flea problem. Kittens are usually wormed at their first vet visit at 8 weeks unless you think there is an issue.

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay.. so it’s not that I do want to treat, or that I don’t. I just read online while doing other research you’re “supposed” to worm them at 2, 4, and 6 weeks. They do not have fleas, nor have I seen worms. Mom doesn’t have worms either. I only was curious because of what i read online, which is why I came here to confirm! And I’m glad I did!!
Thank you everyone! I’ll hold off unless I see signs of worms/fleas, and will wait until their 8 week vet appt. 😊 thank you!

AlyssaV248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Me.. yet again! As some of you may know my cat had kittens 6/29, so tomorrow (Tuesday 7/14) they will be 2 weeks. So far she has been a great mom. All 3 babies have been gaining weight steadily, active, all around great. Well tonight she started moving one. The first time I checked on the babies, and noticed one was missing. We found it under my daughters loft bed and put it back. About 45 minutes later mom moved the kitten back under my daughters bed but was laying with it and letting it nurse. I put the kitten back in her box, and moved the box under my daughters bed.
I know they can single one kitten out if they’re sick or something, but would she then continue to care for it? I didn’t really give her the chance to move the other kittens and see if she just wanted to move nests. I checked over the kitten she’s moving and it looks good and healthy.