Both Of My Boys Are Losing Fur...

Alex_ayye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around 6 months ago, my oldest boy (8years old) and my youngest (2years old) I noticed they began to shed fur. I chalked it up to the weather getting warmer. Then, it got worse. One of them is missing fur on both of his sides and no where else. The other has really thin fur compared to what it once was (he’s a fluffy boy). He also has a random bald spot on his should area. After investigating the many causes for fur loss, I came across certain foods that may be the cause. Fancy Feast. Every time they eat it they eventually get swollen eyes and throw up. They began eating it around the time the fur loss began along with other symptoms. I have recently switched their food to CRAVE and they like it a lot. But I’m still not sold on the food being the only culprit. They had tapeworms recently and that was taken care of and they get flea treatments once a month (as directed by our veterinarian). Has anyone else had this issue? It’s strange because it’s happening to 2 of our 3 cats. The other cat can eat anything and do anything without any issues. My two cats (the ones with fur loss and vomiting) spend far more time together and make the other cat the “odd man out”. If that helps. Any advice would be great and if you have some healthy food recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Top Image: Bugsie is the tabby and you can really tell where the fur is missing. Steppy is the tuxedo and it is hard to tell he’s lost fur because he’s a fluffy boy, but his fur has thinned.
9FAACBA1-11BD-49BD-9896-FDC312D5623E.jpeg

Bottom Images: Bugsie and Steppy before the fur loss (Steppy loves to lay on all of my clean laundry while I hang things up and clean)
141961CD-05C4-425C-B9BF-EFD7281726D9.jpeg

D441AC67-D391-47AD-A6C6-5262E4AAF365.jpeg

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that it's happening to the 2 cats that spend the most time together, I would think it's some kind of medical thing that can be transmitted and I would follow up with your vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually overgrooming due to allergies. Since they had tapeworms, that means they had fleas at one time, so it could be hypersensitivity to flea bites (and even one bite can set off hypersensitive individuals, so even if they have flea meds, some fleas can get a bite in before they die). Or maybe something else. . .do they spend a lot of time in a particular area? One that's particularly dusty or damp or anything else that could trigger allergies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alex_ayye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Given that it's happening to the 2 cats that spend the most time together, I would think it's some kind of medical thing that can be transmitted and I would follow up with your vet.
That’s what came to my mind, but the veterinarian didn’t say anything when I brought it up. We went specifically for the worms and fleas because both Bugsie and Steppy had worms at the same time and the other cat did not. I explained, in graphic detail, all of the symptoms and they had a look over from the vet. She says it’s just the worms and we need to treat for fleas. I’ve been vacuuming every room, washing their bedding (with natural detergent because I don’t want to irritate their skin), and doing the monthly flea treatments. I may take them to a different vet. She quickly rerouted the conversation when I brought up the Fancy Feast food causing eye issues. Thank you so much for your response!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alex_ayye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's usually overgrooming due to allergies. Since they had tapeworms, that means they had fleas at one time, so it could be hypersensitivity to flea bites (and even one bite can set off hypersensitive individuals, so even if they have flea meds, some fleas can get a bite in before they die). Or maybe something else. . .do they spend a lot of time in a particular area? One that's particularly dusty or damp or anything else that could trigger allergies?
Bugsie usually stays in my bedroom or another well-kept bedroom because he’s fancy.lol Steppy, on the other hand, likes to hangout in the basement. The basement is pretty cool all year long and a little damp. We do treat the whole house for fleas and treat the cats with revolution. I know fleas are relentless and will hangout anywhere they can. I’m beginning to think the hair loss is due to flea allergies, but it’s really weird that the hair loss started around the time they started eating fancy feast. I live in North Carolina and it gets really cold in the fall and winter, meaning their are hardly any fleas. That was around the time they began eating the fancy feast brand. We have had many cats in the past and we’ve never dealt with hair loss or eye problems. I know that fleas are still present during the cold months, but this is a first. When they aren’t napping in their usual spots, they are either in windows or playing toys with me in the living room. Thank you for your response!