Both my cats are neutered. Can they still have that feeling of being in heat

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi just wondering if both my cats can smell other cats that are in heat. Can they still have the feeling that they think they are in heat. I hope this is not a silly question. Linda:lol3::clap:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say they are both neutered. Does this mean they are both male? I ask because sometimes people say neuter when they mean spay. Male cats do not go into heat; they are always sexually active and will try to impregnate any female they sense is in heat. Once they are neutered, they are still viable for up to 8 weeks, until the hormones have dissipated. Some male cats do still try and hump female cats that are in heat, but this is rare and they can't "finish the job" so to speak.

If your cats are female, then no, they will not go into heat just because they smell another cat in heat. The spay surgery removes the ovaries and sometimes the uterus (generally in dogs, cats tend to only have ovaries removes), which prevents them from going into heat. I have heard of some female cats going into heat after being spayed, but from what I can gather it is extremely rare. I have only found a couple stories about it online.