Both Cats Sick

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a few weeks ago, my first cat started to vomit everywhere. We took her to the vet and they said her bowels didn't seem to be moving. They gave me a pill to stop her vomiting and some probiotics. She's been passing and stopped vomiting for about two weeks. Well today she threw up again. I've been giving her lactulose and canned pumpkin in her food and she has been passing still. Well now my other cat, after having some food of the others with probiotics in it, has been having watery diarrhea for the passed 3 days. I am at a loss of what to do and what could be causing this...their food hasn't changed. All I can think of that has is their litter, which I started using arm & hammer brand. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Are they eating the litter? Try going back to your other one, or some other brand of litter.

Try a 50:50 boiled unseasoned chicken and white rice for a couple of meals to try and reset their tummies.

Is there anything else in the house that has changed, literally anything, like new washing detergent, dryer sheets, air fresheners, a new cleaner, new people, something new outside on or in the yard or the vegetation, mold in the house somewhere....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I have heard of probiotics causing diarrhea in cats, but typically it tends to go away after a short while. So, that could be the case with your one cat. The other one, that is throwing up again, might be a repeat of what happened earlier. I hope you know what to look for so that you could determine if this is a repeat occurrence - that would warrant a vet visit.

I can't imagine that the litter would have anything to do with it, unless the one who has now developed diarrhea is somehow allergic to it. Even so, I can't imagine that they both would be allergic.

Hopefully, others on this site with more knowledge can offer you more suggestions than I have been able to do.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When looking for mold in a house, look behind bookcases, pull them out from the wall. Look behind the books. Yeah, I know, been there. You'll need to lie on the floor with a flashlight and look at the underside of all shelves - the bookshelves and cabinet shelves.

Oh, yeah, if you have a set of encyclopedia, check for whitish discoloration on the covers. That's mold too. You can wipe it off with white vinegar. This is true for all leather products - shoes, coats, belts, all of them.