Both Cats Chewing Up Then Spitting Out New Food.

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at wits end at the moment.

So we've had our senior on Advance (Australian Brand) senior food for no specific reason, we just changed him over to that one ages ago because we thought "senior food...senior cat".
We got a kitten over a week ago and initially we put her on the senior until her tummy settled, and now trying to change to a better, higher in fat and protein adult food, they either refuse it (kitten) or eat a bit and then spit it out (senior). This is a grain-free, expensive brand (Ivory Coat) and I've tried slowly introducing it, hiding the new food under the old food, spinkiling old food into the new food and even separate bowls, with less old food and more new food.
All I've left is either throw away the new food and try another (maybe chicken flavour), stay with the senior food or time-feed and see if this works. Also the kitten refuses wet food too.

Please help.

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats just dont like certain foods, mine will eat several flavours of a brand but will not touch another flavour!
I would switch back to the food you know they like for now. You could also test out different foods by buying a few of the individual sachets or cans you can get at pet shops so you dont blow a lot of money on something that they wont eat. Good way to try before you buy (well before you buy a whole box!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats just dont like certain foods, mine will eat several flavours of a brand but will not touch another flavour!
I would switch back to the food you know they like for now. You could also test out different foods by buying a few of the individual sachets or cans you can get at pet shops so you dont blow a lot of money on something that they wont eat. Good way to try before you buy (well before you buy a whole box!)
I don't know if they have individual sachets of these dry foods, but I'm going to look into it.
We bought the fish flavour since the senior was fish too, and I'm concerned about feeding the kitten a low protein and fat kibble, you know?
Maybe we'll try chicken or the same brand they are eating, but different flavour. It's just it won't be as good for the kitten/so expensive and bad for their tummies changing foods so often.

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they have individual sachets of these dry foods, but I'm going to look into it.
We bought the fish flavour since the senior was fish too, and I'm concerned about feeding the kitten a low protein and fat kibble, you know?
Maybe we'll try chicken or the same brand they are eating, but different flavour. It's just it won't be as good for the kitten/so expensive and bad for their tummies changing foods so often.
Ahh its dry food, I didnt realize! I know you can get small bags of Royal Canin at some pet shops (City Farmers.. not sure if thats just a WA shop thought) which are $6, I buy those for my boy because he mainly has wet food so the small bag lasts a while, but theyre a good trial size. Other brands may sell them too hopefully!

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh its dry food, I didnt realize! I know you can get small bags of Royal Canin at some pet shops (City Farmers.. not sure if thats just a WA shop thought) which are $6, I buy those for my boy because he mainly has wet food so the small bag lasts a while, but theyre a good trial size. Other brands may sell them too hopefully!
I found Ivory coat trials and just ordered some. Maybe they'll like the chicken ones instead.
Advance doesn't seem to have trial packs and not many seem to either. I'm not too fond of Royal Canin but at this point I'm more concerned about the kitten getting her high protein and fat content than anything else. And yes, just dry food. Senior likes a specific wet food and kitten just won't eat it.

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found Ivory coat trials and just ordered some. Maybe they'll like the chicken ones instead.
Advance doesn't seem to have trial packs and not many seem to either. I'm not too fond of Royal Canin but at this point I'm more concerned about the kitten getting her high protein and fat content than anything else. And yes, just dry food. Senior likes a specific wet food and kitten just won't eat it.
Chicken flavour always seems to be a favourite, hopefully that works!
Have you tried baby on a scrambled up egg with some grated cheese? Maybe they'd tolerate something a bit more mild

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chicken flavour always seems to be a favourite, hopefully that works!
Have you tried baby on a scrambled up egg with some grated cheese? Maybe they'd tolerate something a bit more mild
Baby on a scrambled up egg with cheese? I'm not sure I can just steal a baby to feed my cats!

What did you mean instead? Haha. Also didn't know cats could eat eggs and cheese.

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby on a scrambled up egg with cheese? I'm not sure I can just steal a baby to feed my cats!

What did you mean instead? Haha. Also didn't know cats could eat eggs and cheese.
Hahaha oops, yes the breeder of our new little one gave us an info sheet that said she feeds them wet cat food, raw roo mince (that VIP stuff is what Ive been getting, kitties love it) and eggs with a little grated cheese in there for taste. Definately good if you're worried about protein!

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahaha oops, yes the breeder of our new little one gave us an info sheet that said she feeds them wet cat food, raw roo mince (that VIP stuff is what Ive been getting, kitties love it) and eggs with a little grated cheese in there for taste. Definately good if you're worried about protein!
Sounds great but my kitten is such a finicky eater. She will NOT eat wet food and now she won't switch to the new 40$ 3kg grain-free food.
I wouldn't mind leaving them on the senior food, but I'm worried it might hurt her. The senior food has like 30% protein (adult food is between 35-36%) and like 10% fats (adult is like 15%). I don't want to hurt her but we can't afford to buy dry foods until we find one, you know?
I'm thinking of seeing if time-feeding them both helps waiting for the trial packs. If that doesn't work, get another food from the same brand and cross my fingers!
Know the funny thing? Ivory coat is what the kitten was being fed for 8 months!

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds great but my kitten is such a finicky eater. She will NOT eat wet food and now she won't switch to the new 40$ 3kg grain-free food.
I wouldn't mind leaving them on the senior food, but I'm worried it might hurt her. The senior food has like 30% protein (adult food is between 35-36%) and like 10% fats (adult is like 15%). I don't want to hurt her but we can't afford to buy dry foods until we find one, you know?
I'm thinking of seeing if time-feeding them both helps waiting for the trial packs. If that doesn't work, get another food from the same brand and cross my fingers!
Know the funny thing? Ivory coat is what the kitten was being fed for 8 months!
Fussy little thing, she wont starve herself to death so I would put out the Ivory Coat you have now and she will have to get used to it. It would be different if she was being made sick by it but, as shes had it before and shes just being difficult, Im sure she'll come around to eating it when shes hungry enough

Kyutekyu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fussy little thing, she wont starve herself to death so I would put out the Ivory Coat you have now and she will have to get used to it. It would be different if she was being made sick by it but, as shes had it before and shes just being difficult, Im sure she'll come around to eating it when shes hungry enough
Doesn't help the senior conveniently doesn't like it either!
I've it out sprinkled with the old food, and already planning to buy the chicken version if it doesn't work out. They both like the chicken treats, so maybe? I'll hopefully get the trial for the chicken, and worst case, back to the senior food and time feeding you both nit-picky devils!

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wrong. A cat might very well starve itself if it doesn't like the only food available. It only takes 24 hours of not eating for irreversable physical damage to be done!

I've never known a kitten to turn down egg. Fed my kittens raw eggs mixed with kibble. They loved it! (YOu can freeze what they can't eat for next time, but make sure it doesn't freeze into a brick!)
(I also added an appropriate amount of Coconut oil, which killed any Salmonella that might have been present.)

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only raw egg yolk is safe to give to a cat. Raw egg whites affects the cat's body's ability to absorb vitamin B.
I reply by quoting a few excerpts from an article written by Dr. Mercola:

"Consuming raw egg whites *without the yolks* increases your risk for biotin deficiency,
because egg whites contain a glycoprotein called avidin, which binds biotin (one of the B vitamins). . . .

"Egg yolks have one of the highest concentrations of biotin found in nature.
So it is likely that you will not have a biotin deficiency if you consume the whole raw egg, yolk and white.
It is also clear, however, that if you only consume raw egg whites, you are nearly guaranteed to develop a biotin deficiency unless you take a biotin supplement.

"So to be clear, my advice is that you can safely eat WHOLE raw eggs, from a healthy fresh source.
Personally I eat four whole raw eggs each morning with my breakfast. . . ."

Important Update on Eating Raw Eggs 2/9/05

Last edited: