bored? or seeking attention?

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a little orange tabby named Pekoe. He's just shy of 7 months and got fixed at 5 months. He's been sleeping with us since he was big enuf to get up on the bed which has been mostly fine but his schedule seemed to start about 30 minutes before our alarm clock went off. Which wasn't all that bad so we just lived with it. My wife is a teacher and she just recently went back to work after her summer vacation. On the first morning that she was to wake up to the alarm clock Pekoe decided that 4:30 was his new time to start his day. Which usually means jumping up on our nightstands and staring out the window meowing. This went on for the first week so we decided that maybe it was time to keep him out of the bedroom at night. The first night he meowed a little at the door but he quickly stopped and went away. At 4:30 he came back and started meowling and trying to dig his way in under the door and he doesn't stop. this last saturday morning my wife got up and went into the living room and layed down on the couch and he settled down on his cat tree and went to sleep until I got up. This morning it was the same thing so we thought maybe if we let him in at 4:30 he would just jump up on the bed and curl up. That didn't happen he went straight to the window and started meowing again. We are lost for ideas, the only thing we can think of is he's bored or wants more attention. We thought about getting another cat to keep him company but my only concern then is are we going to have 2 cats to wake us up in the morning? Only other thing I can think of is would a pet door help?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, this is kind of normal for his age. The up side is that they usually grow out of it. He's like a little kid on Christmas morning and is ready for everyone to get up. Adding another cat may indeed work. Another option would be to keep him shut out of the room and add a Scccat outside the door so he doesn't meow and dig. I always like sleeping with my kitties so I'd go with the first option, myself.