Bored Cat?

CaitlinH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I've had my cat for 4 months now and we have a great routine going- we wake up, play , she eats and then I go to work. My boyfriend works remotely so he gets up and play with her for a bit and then settles down to work.
However, my cat can't seem to play by herself- she cries and then paces around the house and sits. She stares at the windows for a couple hours and then cries for attention. Then eventually she will put herself to bed and nap on/off for the rest of the day.
I get home around 6ish and play with her. After 20ish minutes I stop and then do other things ( get on comfy clothes, sit down and you know, relax?)- but my cat just stares at us in disbelief that we would stop playing with her. She has toys, she has access to every nook and cranny of the apartment, 2 scratching posts, a very cool cat tree but she just sits and waits for us to pay attention to her. I'm worried she is super bored or we've trained her to be dependent on us for entertainment. I'm getting some puzzle toys for her but should we be trying to train her to play on her own? Is that a thing? We have little balls that make noise, ping pong balls- catnip mice/kicker toys- but she just wants to play with us.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's great that you give her these opportunities.
Play need depends on age and individual temparament. Until about a year old, kittens do play on their own. You can find stuff she can't resist and after you introduce it, start the game, she can continue then or later.
Minish, since kitten, has always preferred playing with or at least in the company of humans but she played also by herself as well until about a year old. At age 6, she is much more picky for solo play but there is some stuff that keeps her going when encouraged (you know, like, "get it minish! wow, what a hunter" etc.) for her, it's very small and light objects she can manipulate with her paws and teeth. She also likes fishing for small toys from under throw rugs. Minish also has access to almost everywhere. However, she seldom visits the unused room. But when we put her on top of a cupboard, or open a dresser part in the bedroom by showing her there's this new place, she spends many hours with the fresh discovery.
You can create challenges, by putting the toys in cups or boxes she can fish out.
There are automated toys like random laser pointers (I use laser very sparingly because it stresses her out more than entertaining her), robotic toy bugs (look up hexbug), balls that move under cover, puzzle feeders... There are DIY versions too. Keep trying new things
By the way, not all cries or stares for attention is a sign of wanting to play. If your cat couldn't play enough, she would have the zoomies. And you don't have to give long term attention. We touch base with minish every half hour, a slow blink, cute calling her name makes her content and doesn't take a second

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This article may help: Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Some kittens just do best with another cat. That might be something to consider. Even fostering a cat may be helpful.
Great article! Esp. for me the stuff about older cats. Zorro WANTS to play but rests more now -I would too on chemo- & seems jaded by the usual toys. I could swear he misses mom & is also scared about why his body doesn’t work quite the same way. So, we have more conversations and naps than chasing. It is good quality shared time. Agree that a second cat might be the ticket! 😃

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaitlinH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh thank you for the article !