Bored Cat

Ladywith3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to find some help for my tabbycat.
I got her to keep the male ragdoll company but he has now chilled out but the tabby is still really active and gets bored really easily.
I have tried multiple different types of toys but she gets bored after a day or two.
I let her out in the back garden every day at it sometimes helps but on the days it's raining she's alot worse, just walks around the house crying.
I can't let her be a fully outdoor cat as she's to skittish and jumpy, that's why they get the back garden we have cat fencing so it's safe for all 3.

I have considered re-homing her but I think that will make more issues for her as she was taken to early approx 5 weeks old I've had her since 9 weeks and she's now 2. She can't settle herself to sleep she has to pad and suckle on the blanket I'm under, I have tried different blankets to try and get her to settle without me and it put her in alot of stress so I can't rehome her but I need to find something to help her so she's less sad.
Any advice is welcome

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladywith3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a catio we just have cat netting at the top of the fences so they can't get out.

As for cat trees there are 3 around the house, she uses the smallest it usually just to stretch

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it seems she needs some interactive play with someone rather than playing by herself. Are you able to spend an hour a day, everyday, to play with her, eg. with a wand (Da Bird is great), or with the laser pointer? Or throw some toys for her to catch?
As for the toys, you can take them away from her every 2 days and hide for 2 weeks, and then get them out, most likely she will play with them again.

Ladywith3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried lots of toys she use to like jumping for the feather wand but she stopped. A few weeks ago I got her activity toys she like the Kong frog for about a week, I thought she would like the spinning butterfly but she just watches it.
I will try hiding a few maybe if she has less opinions it may make her more interested.
We are now looking at how to make a proper catio so she can go out more often

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she enjoy playing with your ragdoll boy? If yes, and if this is something appealing to you, you could maybe get into fostering temporarily some other active young adult kitty. I’m giving you this idea because Id totally do this myself (I’m not there yet but I have a hyper active cat, she has a play friend but he’s a normal cat, meaning unlike her, he sleeps during a day etc. but at least she enjoys playing with her humans a lot). But if your girl is skittish, she could take introductions hard, so not sure if that’s the option for you, but maybe worth exploring?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that tabby is coloring and not a breed but is this common among tabbycats? I swear, every tabby I have seen is like the energizer bunny. I have 3 here right now and they are constantly full of energy and poor Shaman just wants to chill

Ladywith3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did she enjoy playing with your ragdoll boy? If yes, and if this is something appealing to you, you could maybe get into fostering temporarily some other active young adult kitty. I’m giving you this idea because Id totally do this myself (I’m not there yet but I have a hyper active cat, she has a play friend but he’s a normal cat, meaning unlike her, he sleeps during a day etc. but at least she enjoys playing with her humans a lot). But if your girl is skittish, she could take introductions hard, so not sure if that’s the option for you, but maybe worth exploring?
She does still play with hagrid but now he's getting bigger he's not as hyper as she is. I love the idea of Fostering but luna the oldest ragdoll would probably freak out with lots of kittys coming and going

Ladywith3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that tabby is coloring and not a breed but is this common among tabbycats? I swear, every tabby I have seen is like the energizer bunny. I have 3 here right now and they are constantly full of energy and poor Shaman just wants to chill
I'm not sure she's the first tabbycat I've had but that's the reason why I chose her and not another ragdoll because at the time hagrid was hyper and climbing curtains (literally) but now he's fat and lazy and hetty never seems to chill for long

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure she's the first tabbycat I've had but that's the reason why I chose her and not another ragdoll because at the time hagrid was hyper and climbing curtains (literally) but now he's fat and lazy and hetty never seems to chill for long
Maybe others who have had tabbies will know. I've just never seen a tabby that wasn't hyper. Shaman is a lot like my Pepper was. She plays "a little" but then after a few minutes she's ready to go and chill. And the two are littermates.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catios are awesome. She'll have loads to look at and maybe that will entertain her. :goldstar:

One of my kitties that get bored easy loves a little thing I made for him:

I bought him a new litter box (cheap dollar store one - not used lol) and filled it with water and placed wind-up fish in it. It seems to make him happy. I bring it out once a week. Could try that?