Boots not in a good state.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boots is going to the vet so they can run some tests and prescribe prednisone or another similar drug for his eosinophilic stomatitis. Last night he stayed in the same spot in the cat room for about 4 hrs and vomited clear fluid. He had the growths removed from his throat 2 weeks or so ago but he's doing just as bad now as when I brought him in. They first believed they were cancerous tumors but when the tissue sample was tested they found out he has the eosinophilic stuff. His throat, mouth area is so inflamed. It's a very bad case. I'm really hoping prednisone works because I hate seeing him in this much pain. Some family members have been telling me I need to have him euthanized but I won't do it unless he's in severe pain and there's no way I would be able to save his life through medical intervention. It's been so hard the last few days. He comes in to sleep by me in my bed as he does every night, and his breathing is so intense. I'm hoping whatever med they give him today works wonders. I'm kind of a wreck seeing him this way. It's only been 15 months since I adopted him. He's 12 going on 13 and it's not that old for a cat. I'd like to also look for alternative treatments. He does get probiotics, enzymes, joint supplements, homeopathic remedies that are all intended for cats but I'm thinking about trying to get him some acupuncture. It's just so hard to afford all this when you're 26, going back to college to finish your degree, and in between jobs. I won't give up on him but I feel kind of pessimistic for some reason. I'll give an update after his vet appointment.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you’re struggling to afford treatment, don’t spend your money on acupuncture. There’s really no good evidence that it does anything, animals don’t even enjoy the small placebo benefit that humans might get from acupuncture.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How about asking the vet about tube feeding? I mention that on the assumption that the inflammation makes it uncomfortable for him to eat? Lots of members on this site have taken care of cats at home on tube feeding, and say it is fairly easy to get used to doing it. It may not be viable for him, but you could ask to just see. Is Boots receiving any pain meds if you think he is in that much pain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you’re struggling to afford treatment, don’t spend your money on acupuncture. There’s really no good evidence that it does anything, animals don’t even enjoy the small placebo benefit that humans might get from acupuncture.
I know the lady that's a horse veterinarian that studied animal acupuncture. She mostly does horses but also sometimes dogs and cats when requested. She's giving him one free one because she lived down the street from me growing up and used to babysit me.
Hi. How about asking the vet about tube feeding? I mention that on the assumption that the inflammation makes it uncomfortable for him to eat? Lots of members on this site have taken care of cats at home on tube feeding, and say it is fairly easy to get used to doing it. It may not be viable for him, but you could ask to just see. Is Boots receiving any pain meds if you think he is in that much pain?
The vet gave him a bupronephrine shot, smaller dose today. Also ran blood tests and fiv test. Everything looks pretty good. He was suddenly 80% better by the time I took him to the vet and is sooo much better now. He is taking prednisone as a liquid now, prescribed today. Seems much better and it's only been 45 min since he's taken it. The vet believes he developed a severe allergy to something but probably chicken. He said when cats don't have allergies or autoimmune issues early in life but suddenly develop it when they're older, it's usually chicken or poultry, especially when that's been their diet most of their life. Before I adopted him, he ate mostly kitten kaboodle the previous owners said. I took him because he sprayed and the owners were going to put him down if they didn't find an owner. He no longer sprays after using a cat pheromone diffuser. He's actually been eating on his own, just not as much. The vet thinks that it causes him pain to eat but not as much as I think. The issue is mostly in the throat and not as much mouth. It was in the mouth but the antibiotic shots cleared that up. He's eating great right now for his lunch meal now that I've given him prednisone and he got the pain relief shot. The vet said that the pain is caused by the inflammation and should go away with prednisone. He wasn't given it until today because they wanted to see if the antibiotics would clear up the symptoms but their convinced it was partly an infection and alot of it was allergies.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also I've spent over 700 in the last month on Boots and my brother's christmas present kitten. I owed 77 today and the vet took that off and also made the fiv test and blood tests free. I only paid for prednisone and a vet visit. I'm wondering about getting the other 2 cats on pet health insurance. Boots probably can't because his issue is now a per-existing condition but maybe it's a good idea to get the other 2 signed up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He was suddenly 80% better by the time I took him to the vet and is sooo much better now. He is taking prednisone as a liquid now, prescribed today. Seems much better and it's only been 45 min since he's taken it.
Adrenaline (from going to the vet) can make a cat appear better for a while. So, don't get discouraged if he takes a step backwards before going forward again. It may not happen, but just want you to be prepared in case it does. I hope he doesn't but if he does, the prednisone will kick in soon!

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adrenaline (from going to the vet) can make a cat appear better for a while. So, don't get discouraged if he takes a step backwards before going forward again. It may not happen, but just want you to be prepared in case it does. I hope he doesn't but if he does, the prednisone will kick in soon!
Thanks! He is playing with toys again. Something he hasn't done in months. But yeah its best to hope for the best, be prepared for the worst. The prednisone dose is 13mg once daily which is kind of high I read. But I hope that means it kicks in sooner and gives him relief.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
An initial high dose of pred is pretty common. Then, when the inflammation has gone down, you can slowly decrease the dosage until it's no longer needed. Hopefully you'll be able to determine what the cause is by then. :vibes: