Book thread

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mary Annes post reminded me of a book thread that we used to have. We've got some new blood here so I thought it would be good to bring it back.

I'm getting ready to start 'Monster' by Jonathon Kellerman. Haven't cracked it yet but I will do that this weekend.

I like Stephen King, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, and others in that genre.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also reading My Feudal Lord by Tehmi Durrani a true story about the horrors of a Pakistanian woman who married a political figure of Pakastan and he kept her in seclusion for 14 years!

I am also reading Hugger Mugger by Robert B. Parker about a serial killer in the race horse circuit and as already mentioned trying to read Black House

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I love books!!! I have tons and tons of them, and buy more each week! In fact, the owner of my local bookstore has a list of books that he orders off of each week for me. I, of course, don't have time to actually READ any of these books right now!

I just noticed (after a discussion with my bookstore guy) that my hardcover copy of "Cannery Row" (Steinbeck) is a first edition! I'm so excited!

Currently I am trying to read "The Hobbit" (Becasue I've never read it before! *GASP*!!), "The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe" (Because I really loved that book as a child!)and "Absolute Power" (by David Limbaugh). That's on top of all my schoolbooks that I try to stay current on.

Generally I like King, Koontz, Cook, and Sandford.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't discovered half.com yet, you should check it out. Just go to http://www.half.com and then click books, type in the book you are looking for and find it for outrageously inexpensive prices, or just browse by author it is amazing!

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What, and put my bookstore guy out of a job? LOL!!

No, I hadn't heard of that site, but I definately will check it out!! Thanks for the heads up, hissy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
half.com is the bomb! :laughing:

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I was married, I used to read Danielle Steel books, and Mary Higgins Clark books. I also liked the romance books, too
After getting married I quit reading for some reason. Danielle Steel has a few books out that sound good, though. I may just need to buy one! :tounge2:

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutly HATE reading because I cannot keep my focus on it . . . until I read the book I am reading now. I never ever ever recommend books, but this one is soooo good and I get so involved in it that if someone walks in the room I get startled.
It's called Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. It's sooooo good! It's about a boy telling us his mind after being terribly injured in WWI. I can't give away too much (except that this is not the book for someone who's stomach gets upset easily --- very gross and disturbing at many many points). (I have to read it for my WWI class, but I'm very glad I own it now!!!!!) Read it!!!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to read anything by John Saul, Dean Koontz, John Grisham, and Robin Cook. I also loved the series by R.A. Salvatore ( I think that was the author) , the dark elf series about Drizzt. I'm going to re-read them soon
Oh, I love Anne Rice too, especially the Mayfair Witches triology.

Currently I'm reading Shadows by John Saul and Merrick by Anne Rice. Next will be Fatal Cure by Robin Cook.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was finally able to finish "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" by Dr. Seuss. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about the Zans who opens cans.

The book's overall message about "From there to here and here to there, funny things are everywhere" was intriguing and very true.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's next? Green Eggs and Ham? I do not like them Sam I am.......

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a quick scan of some of the expiration dates in my refrigerator, I have discovered why my kids walk around grumbling "I do not like that Sam I am". And here I thought I was serving a thematic breakfast.

Hmm.

miss whitney

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tigger:

I just read Danielle Steel's book "Journey". It was very good. I don't like all of her books, but there are some that are excellent.
I like Belva Plain and Fern Michaels also.

I don't care much for murder mysteries but I like Political intrique. I read a book every week and sometimes I hate for them to end.

My husband likes military books and he has so many that we ran out of book cases for them. He hates throwing anything out. I read a book at night instead of watching TV.

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG - Deb - hahaha :LOL:

Whitney - suggest to your husband to read Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo - it's great!!! Although I'm sure he's read it by now if he likes military books that much

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love fantasy best. Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. Anne McCaffrey Pern series. Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series. I also love all of the Harry Potter books

chee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BOOKS! oh yes please, nothing like a good book, i am a book nut and enjoy all sorts of writers and styles, especially classics like Jane Austen, the Bronte's, Wilkie Collins, joseph Conrad...but i love fantasy novels too, and am reading a long series by David Eddings at the moment, that i don`t mind being long becuase i hate a good book to end, i am also reading T S Eliot`s "old possum's book of practical cats" Yes i love poetry too) and a bit of Poe for good measure

Happy reading with a cat on your lap

Chee & Breeze

miss whitney

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
NightSoWindy:

I asked my husband about that book, "Johnny Got His Gun". He said not yet, but he said it sounds like one he would like. He mostly reads about Navy Seals and stories by Veterans but he likes all military stories, fiction and non fiction. He was in the Navy and that is his biggest interest: Aircraft Carriers, all the jets, helicopters, etc. Thanks for telling me about this book.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Chee, Looks like we have a lot in common!! I aslo love all the classics by Jane Austin and the Brontes!!! My most FAVE book of all time is Wuthering Heights....soooooo good!!! I also liked Tess of the D'Urbavilles (sp?!!!! doh!!)by Hardy...that was a bit long winded but great all the same!! The authors Im really into at the moment are Diane Pearson, and mostly Susan Howatch - I LOVE her books, at the moment Im on the third book (almost finished) of a 6 book series!!! I just can't wait to read them all but I know when I have read them I'll be bummed cos I won't have anymore to read!! (well actually I have about another 5 books of hers I haven't read yet so it should keep me going for a bit longer!!)

Ps Hubby is a "Military reader" too!! though he does like the occasional "Hannibal" and "Red dragon" kinda books!! eeew!!

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AP!! ha ha ha....Im too wimpy to read the whole thing...though I did sneak a few chapters while we were on holiday!!! What I read of it was pretty good...maybe I'll have to sneak the rest of the book too.... ha ha ha