Boogie plays aggressively

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Fellow Feline Fanciers: I have 2 cats Purry (3 1/2 yo female - 6 lbs) and Boogie (1 yo male - 10 lbs). They are both spayed and neutered. Boogie is larger and uses his size and speed to chase Purry and cause her to growl and sometimes cry out when he jumps on her and bites her. This has been ongoing for over a year. At first I could not let them in the same room because they would fight. Boogie has mellowed somewhat (thank goodness). It was difficult to have to always keep them separated.

I have a cat shaped stuffed toy that I have let Boogie “attack” on a couple of occasions. He bites it, rabbit kicks it, and carries it off in his mouth. He is a chewer and I am unable to leave any stuffed toy out, because he will chew and swallow it (then puke).

My question is, should I encourage this aggression by letting him spend it on the stuffed toy, not on Purry. Will letting him bite and attack the stuffed toy encourage the aggression or diminish it?

What have you guys learned about this kind of thing? I would appreciate your replies. Thanks a lot. The first photo is Boogie, the second the size difference, and third photo is Purry.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
By all means let him have a toy to bite and bunny kick. This will wear off some of the energy he has. I don’t think it is as much aggression for him as it is the playfulness of a young cat and a desire to make her his playmate. He also needs several heavy duty play sessions with a wand or a laser every day.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats of unequal size very often have unequal play. You can get protest noises and the smaller cat ending play early, running and such. Nothing unusual. As long as the smaller cat does not act generally fearful of the other cat once play is done, its a non issue. The key is to let the smaller cat be your guide, and look to its behavior when rough play is done. The discomfort is typically along the lines of a head noogie -- ie nothing meaningful. Letting them be together is the best way to improve the situation. I have an 11.6 pound cat and an 8.5 pound cat now. The smaller cat ends play early every time, and there are sometimes protest noises, but they are good friends nonetheless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies. I am a going to let Boogie have the stuffy and try for more frequent play sessions each day

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure that Purry has plenty of UP places to get away from him when he gets aggressive.