Boo loved Beef, but....

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I don't switch proteins up Boo will get bored and not eat. I picked up nature's logic beef. Normally he won't try a new protein if it is mixed with one he is getting bored of. He has not had any problems with this until tonight. He loved the beef, more than anything else I have given him so far. He ate it faster than he has ate any raw yet, but about half an hour latter he threw it all up.

Now should I try giving it to him mixed with the primal quail I have, or will he probably have the same reaction and I shouldn't risk it?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is the EXACT problem I had with "slow" introductions to raw! They got bored of the food if fed for more than a few meals in a row - which made introducing new proteins into ones they tolerate difficult. :rolleyes:

AND I had the exact same problem with Shelly and beef! He loved it and gobbled it up, and then promptly reguritated it. I went ahead and tried a smaller amount the next day - and that came back up. What I ended up having to do was used canned as a base to introduce new proteins, and then I could rotate all the raw foods once they were eating whatever protein at 100%.

As to Sheldon and red meat.... I ended up trying again, just a few bites. And THAT came up. So I gave it a skip for a few months, and tried again. But this time I made it just a few bites to begin with, and that stayed down. I slowly worked up to 50% of the meal - I found that anything over that, and it comes back up.

Since he loves it, I'd go ahead and try again at a meal tomorrow - but make it like 10% of the whole meal. Then you'll know for sure whether you need to wait until his body has better adjusted to raw in general before trying again. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok we will try that in the morning. I would hate to keep something he loves away from him. The girls had no problem with it so I can feed it to them if it does not go well for Boo. After he vomited he was hungry again, so I gave him canned. Should I mix the beef with canned or with the quail? He might eat the quail since he has skipped eating it tonight.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.... don't know what to suggest on what to mix it with. If the girls can eat what he won't, go ahead and try the quail. If he turns his nose up at it, you know I made the wrong choice. :lol3:

But yeah, whichever you decide to use as the base, just put a little bit of beef in it - literally a couple of bites. I really hope he can keep that down, and that you'll be able to introduce it slowly. :cross: Since he loves it so much, I do think it's worth the shot. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I mixed a tiny bit of beef with the quail. He gobbled the bit that was beef right up and then looked at me like "where is the rest mom." It took a lot of coaxing to get him to eat the rest of his meal. He might have had more freeze dried chicken than anything. :lol3:

Good news is he managed to keep it down! :clap:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I gave Boo the same amount of beef tonight as I did this morning. All seemed well but I knew it was about to come back up when he started swallowing loudly from his sleeping spot on the bed. Sure enough he vomitted seconds latter. I am glad he jumped down from the bed at least. He kept it down for 4 hours. Is it odd that it took him such a long time for it to upset his stomach.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to give the beef another try again this morning. I gave it to him mixed with some canned so I can get him to eat because he will not touch the quail this morning. He ate it and kept it down. Should I skip giving it to him tonight since he kept it down for breakfast but vomitted after having it again latter?

On another note, I was thinking about trying venison next, is that one I should be worried about too? Maybe I should do duck instead? I have a while before I introduce it, but I was thinking ahead. Or maybe I should incase I can't get him used to beef where he will keep it down. I have been trying to just rotate with two different proteins for a bit so it is not too much change and Boo doesn't get so bored he refuses his food.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try the duck before the venison, because you'll likely have the same issue with venison as with beef. Though... because he loves beef, he may love vension. :lol3:

It's odd he threw it up four hours later last night. :scratch: But wonderful news he kept it down this morning! Yes, if you have something else he'll eat, I'd hold off until tomorrow morning to feed him more beef again then.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was odd too. We seemed in the clear up until then.

I gave him quail, but I mixed it with wet to get him interested in eating it. I don't think it will be a good idea just yet to give him another new protein so that was my solution. Although I am kinda scared that he will get stuck back on canned.

Maybe I should go with duck and if I can get him used to beef then maybe try the venison. I don't know how similar they are but Boo also liked the lamb. He was ok with rabbit, and really needs coaxing when it comes to chicken and quail.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol yes, I guess so. I was just thinking about what he does like, and it appears to be that way. Is there a reason beef is so upsetting when other red meat is not?

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my girls are beef lovers as well.  They also go for it like it's the best thing ever, and with all other raw will only eat it with toppers.
  The odd thing is, I have one that vomited pure lamb twice, but ate a full 2 ounces of plain/lean/organic raw stew meat (beef) and had no issues at all.  Perhaps it's not necessarily the type of meat, but the amount of fat that it includes, as the Rad Cat lamb is quite fatty. 

I'm buying more of this stew meat tonight now that I got my ground beef organ mix from My Pet Carnivore so that I can make them a complete meal (with eggshell instead of bone).  We'll see how they do when I add in the organs. Fingers crossed!