Bones for kittens

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So all 3 or our 5-week-old kittens are taking to the raw chicken pieces extremely well.  They can eat up to 2 oz in one sitting!  I chose to chop them up into pea-sized pieces.  I've mixed in some liver pieces as well every other day.  They are weaned from the bottle, but do still take around 4oz of KMR each a day from their own bowls.  For now, I've only been feeding the 2oz chicken once a day, but will increase the amount in the next week.

I'm ready to add the wing tip bones, but how small should I chop them up?  Is it ok if they swallow it whole?  I'm trying to work out a feeding schedule so I"ll be ready when they're completely off KMR.

Speaking of KMR, what is the best age for them to stop KMR and take in just water?  Is it a matter of just making sure their solid foods are the right balance?  I haven't worried about balancing the chicken parts yet, since they're still taking the KMR.  But I know I'll have to work that out soon.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how best to give them the wing tips. Perhaps just break one off, set it down and see what happens? :dk: You can always cut it into smaller pieces if you need to, but you can't "uncut" it up. :lol3:

I don't know how much KMR they're getting, but 2oz of food sounds as if it is likely more than 15% of their diet. I'd be grinding eggshell and adding a small pinch per ounce at least. Calcium is just too important to growing kitties!!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks LDG....I'll start drying and grinding eggshells.  We eat enough eggs in this house  LOL 

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens just threw up their chicken meal :(  I have no idea which one!  I turned around and saw 2 of them eating it.  Ungh. They ate half an hour ago.  What could have caused it?  The raw chicken was warmed via warm water before I fed it.  This is the first time any of them have thrown it up.  Any ideas?  Maybe he ate too fast?  I was a couple of hours late in feeding them. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was the being a couple of hours late. :nod: This can happen with any type of food, it's an issue with timed meals. The stomach acid can build up, and then the meal comes up. I keep freeze dried treats around, and when I'm late, I give them a bite-sized piece to soak up the acid. It often works, but not always. Usually once they throw up, they're usually immediately hungry, and can keep the meal down.

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think I figured out which kitten it is.  He threw up a little more.  So should I give him a little more chicken or milk?  

Good idea about the freeze-dried treats.  Can you recommend a brand?

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found the  Pure bites.  Gave him some just now.  Preparing some formula for him now.

We decided we will do the dried egg shell powder for now.  We have a dehydrator, so maybe we'll use that.  Ironically, went to the grocery to get more chicken, and they were out of wings!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Isn't that always the way?

I hope his tummy settles down. :vibes:

... and if you want to properly balance the meat with calcium, it's 1/32 teaspoon (if very finely ground) per ounce of meat (so probably a bit more than that if grinding at home). ;)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Isn't that always the way?

I hope his tummy settles down. :vibes:

... and if you want to properly balance the meat with calcium, it's 1/32 teaspoon (if very finely ground) per ounce of meat (so probably a bit more than that if grinding at home). ;)

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL no prob.  Thanks for the tips, though. 

I broke apart one large piece of the freeze dried chicken, and gave it to him.  Then about 15 min later, I fed him some formula.  I kept him separate in carrier for now so we will know if he throws up or not.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a PS, it's fine if they want to eat the regurgitated meal. It hasn't been in the tummy very long, it's still pretty much just meat. :)

Adorable tiny babies! I look forward to hearing how the meaty bones go over! Some recommend smashing the wing with a hammer, or scoring the skin to help them deal with it, at first.

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Otto....yeah, my mind knew it was ok to re-eat the regurgitated food (it was only in his tummy for like maybe 15-20 min) but it was GROSS cuz the other 2 dug right in also!!  LOL!!!!  My kids thought I was crazy hearing me scream EEEEEEWWWWW!!!  GET AWAY FROM THAT!! 

I have to find some wings today.  I just bought a huge container of boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I'll be chopping up.  Might as well do the wings as well.  I'm trying to portion everything out for freezing that way my daughter, who really helps a lot playing and caring for the kittens, will be able to thaw and feed the kittens herself in case I'm not home.