Bones And Vomiting

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I want to ask you someting about my cat’s vomitting issue. I gave him a chicken neck yesterday, he love it but while eating it stick on his throat and he throw it than eat that pice. I take the rest of chicken neck but after 1-2 hours he vomits what he ate. This morning after meal without bones, he vomits again. He just eat a piece of chicken breast all day long but he vomits again... We took an X-ray but there is no problem. This morning I cooked his meal but he refuses to eat again... What’s the problem here, any idea?
ps: We've been using chicken since we started, but we haven't had a thing like that in two weeks until we try bone. we’re on raw diet for 2 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I want to ask you someting about my cat’s vomitting issue. I gave him a chicken neck two days ago, he love it but while eating it stick on his throat and he throw it than eat that pice. I take the rest of chicken neck but after 1-2 hours he vomits what he ate. Yesterday after meal without bones, he vomits again. He just eat a piece of chicken breast all day long but he vomits again... We took an X-ray but there is no problem. This morning I cooked his meal but he refuses to eat again... What’s the problem here, any idea?
ps: We've been using chicken since we started, but we haven't had a thing like that in two weeks until we try bone. we’re on raw diet for 2 weeks.
Sorry, I made a mistake about time‍♀

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since he’s had xrays and ruled out having a bone stuck in his throat, he could be associating the chicken with vomiting. I’d suggest trying feeding him a different meat, maybe turkey or rabbit, maybe give him some canned food and see how he does.

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he’s had xrays and ruled out having a bone stuck in his throat, he could be associating the chicken with vomiting. I’d suggest trying feeding him a different meat, maybe turkey or rabbit, maybe give him some canned food and see how he does.
He refuses eat something right now and Just eat homemade yogurt.
We have been using chicken since the beginning and he never vomits before bone. Is this a normal reaction? Or it can be chicken allergy? Btw I will try Turkey...

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if he doesn’t have a bone stuck in his throat, maybe his throat got injured. I have a cat who eats bones, raw bones, never give cooked bones because they splinter. When he first got chunks of meat with bones, I watched him, it took him a few tries to get the hang of it.
If your kitty still refuses food or vomits after another day, you might need to take him to the vet for a thorough exam. It’s not a normal reaction to eating raw bones.

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even if he doesn’t have a bone stuck in his throat, maybe his throat got injured. I have a cat who eats bones, raw bones, never give cooked bones because they splinter. When he first got chunks of meat with bones, I watched him, it took him a few tries to get the hang of it.
If your kitty still refuses food or vomits after another day, you might need to take him to the vet for a thorough exam. It’s not a normal reaction to eating raw bones.
We tried turkey but he just smells... I will try wet food as a last change. I conttolled his throat but it seems normal. I don’t understand why he doesn’t eat... There is no problem until we tried bone:(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There still could be a piece of cartilage stuck in his throat, that would not show up on the x-ray. Any time you change the diet it can bring on vomiting too, I would go back to what he was originally eating then gradually introduce raw. His not eating is a concern. Just get him to eat something, anything. His throat may be sore and hurt from the bone. Try something very soft. Is he defecating in the litter box OK? He may have a blockage further down or even constipation from his change in diet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he broke a tooth, that would cause him to stop eating.

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There still could be a piece of cartilage stuck in his throat, that would not show up on the x-ray. Any time you change the diet it can bring on vomiting too, I would go back to what he was originally eating then gradually introduce raw. His not eating is a concern. Just get him to eat something, anything. His throat may be sore and hurt from the bone. Try something very soft. Is he defecating in the litter box OK? He may have a blockage further down or even constipation from his change in diet.
He is using litter box, there is no problem. I gave him wet food and he ate!!!! But it's like he's struggling to chew things up I don’t know maybe it’s just my missgiving...

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he broke a tooth, that would cause him to stop eating.
I don’t think that he broke a tooth because he didn’t chew too much. I will check.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that he broke a tooth because he didn’t chew too much. I will check.
If he’s not eating right, maybe take him into the vet to have his teeth examined under sedation. Problems can occur below the gum line. My Krista just had a broken tooth and another with deep pockets and food trapped in those pockets. Trust me. Even if he’s eating, if he’s not eating his normal amount, things can still go bad with sharp caloric reductions. It’s not enough that he’s just eating something. Don’t let this go too long if he’s still not eating right.

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he’s not eating right, maybe take him into the vet to have his teeth examined under sedation. Problems can occur below the gum line. My Krista just had a broken tooth and another with deep pockets and food trapped in those pockets. Trust me. Even if he’s eating, if he’s not eating his normal amount, things can still go bad with sharp caloric reductions. It’s not enough that he’s just eating something. Don’t let this go too long if he’s still not eating right.
He is eating wet food and dry food, but didn’t eat raw. I will take him to the vet for teeth control but I don’t know why he give up to eat raw...

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How’s he doing now?
Hi! Thanks for asking. We went to the wet two days ago he checked his teeth and throuth, there isn’t any problem and he said his stomach isn’t ready for bone so we use gastroprotective for just one day and he’s going very well!! But he eats dry wood right now... I’m thinking raw food again but I don’t know if he vomits again...?

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw sorry for spell mistakes

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If his tummy is sensitive for a while, maybe just canned food, and you can try giving a little bit of raw food once he seems fine, see how it goes. I have one cat that loves the ground rabbit with small bits of bone, but he would barf almost every night, hours after eating, apparently it upsets his gastrointestinal system So he just gets Fancy Feast Classic Pate canned food, and no barfing.