BoneLESS Frankerprey - Anyone does this?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to find the nutrient profiles for various foods is to start with the USDA database:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

I've downloaded that database and it forms the basis of my analysis. It doesn't include values for taurine and iodine though. I've have to find that information elsewhere.
He said not necessary to add Taurine to frankerprey BTW.... enough in the meat already..... which went along with the theory really.
I am adding just because I had already purchased it - call it added insurance
Well, as a scientist, I'm not real comfortable with acting based solely on theory. Another big reason why I wrote the program!  

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a calculation based on this one: http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/phosphorus/meats/s/5/ (The picture looks most like the pork I have LOL). It's the first one listed on the page.

It indicates 160mg of phosphorus for an 84g portion (3 oz).

For one NOW HCA serving, that's 1,353mg total phosphorus in a pound; that's a 0.74 Ca:ph ratio.

Doubling the NOW would be 1,853mg total phosphorus in a pound, a Ca:ph ratio of 1.08:1.

So far, seems like it's best to double the dose, as you suggest. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as a scientist, I'm not real comfortable with acting based solely on theory. Another big reason why I wrote the program!  
I am not either, that's why I went to a holistic vet, experienced in raw feeding.....
P.S: very much a science major too.... although forgot most of it LOL (Chemistry) :lol3:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a calculation based on this one: http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/phosphorus/meats/s/5/ (The picture looks most like the pork I have LOL). It's the first one listed on the page.
For one NOW HCA serving, that's 1,353mg total phosphorus in a pound; that's a 0.74 Ca:ph ratio.
Doubling the NOW would be 1,853mg total phosphorus in a pound, a Ca:ph ratio of 1.08:1.
Well.... are you going to do this individually..... No way man.... I am going to make an average :nod:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, seems like it's best to double the dose, as you suggest.
Well.... are you going to do this individually..... No way man.... I am going to make an average
I expect you will be able to find a good average value to use. I would suggest erring on the side of slightly too much of the MCHA. The recommended Ca:ph is usually stated as 1:1 - 5:1. Adding a bit too much of the MCHA would still result in a ratio well within the suggested range.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, did you see the post for the Pork Trim profile? http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/s...&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. Chicken thigh. 399mg per 210g portion. That's 851mg per pound. With the one "serving" of NOW HCA, that's a Ca:ph ratio of 0.74:1. Doubling it is 1.08:1.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. Chicken thigh. 399mg per 210g portion. That's 851mg per pound. With the one "serving" of NOW HCA, that's a Ca:ph ratio of 0.74:1. Doubling it is 1.08:1.
Don't forget to look at any organ meats you feed also.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect you will be able to find a good average value to use. I would suggest erring on the side of slightly too much of the MCHA. The recommended Ca:ph is usually stated as 1:1 - 5:1. Adding a bit too much of the MCHA would still result in a ratio well within the suggested range.
Yes.... That seems to be the consensus..... if in doubt, err for too much instead of too little.... you don't want to go low on Ca.... that can be bad.... Got it -
I will let Laurie figure all out - we pretty much serve the same things :lol3:

Laurie - Pancreas and Venison please :crackup:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Turkey heart: 63mg per ounce

1/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.66:1 Ca:ph ratio
1/2 capsule HCA per oz: 0.80:1 Ca:ph ratio
3/4 capsule HCA per oz: 1.00:1 Ca:ph ratio
1 capsule HCA per oz: 1.14:1 Ca:ph ratio

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken Liver 85mg phosphorus per ounce

1/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.54:1 Ca:ph ratio
1/2 capsule HCA per oz: 0.70:1 Ca:ph ratio
3/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.89:1 Ca:ph ratio
1 capsule HCA per oz: 1.04:1 Ca:ph ratio

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beef Pancreas: 66mg phosphorous per ounce

1/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.64:1 Ca:ph ratio
1/2 capsule HCA per oz: 0.78:1 Ca:ph ratio
3/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.98:1 Ca:ph ratio
1 capsule HCA per oz: 1.12:1 Ca:ph ratio
1.25 capsules HCA per oz: 1.41:1 Ca:ph ratio

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No listing for duck heart.

Chicken heart - 50mg of phosphorous per ounce.

1/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.77:1 Ca:ph ratio
1/2 capsule HCA per oz: 0.87:1 Ca:ph ratio
3/4 capsule HCA per oz: 1.07:1 Ca:ph ratio
1 capsule HCA per oz: 1.21:1 Ca:ph ratio

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Turkey, dark meat, skinless, boneless, raw 827mg phosphorous per pound

1/4 capsule HCA per oz: 0.75:1 Ca:ph ratio
1/2 capsule HCA per oz: 0.86:1 Ca:ph ratio
3/4 capsule HCA per oz: 1.06:1 Ca:ph ratio
1 capsule HCA per oz: 1.20:1 Ca:ph ratio

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - I'm thinking maybe a combo of eggshell and HCA. Maybe supplement meat with HCA, and organs with eggshell....
I've thought about doing that also. The belief though is that the proportion of calcium to the other nutrients in whole bone are what make the calcium not only more absorbable but also more effective for bone building so adding a pure calcium supplement and so altering that proportion might end up making the calcium less well utilized.

Last edited: