Bone Shards In Food — Bloody Stool? :(

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. Me again. :(

I’ve been feeding my kitten, Rollo, Hounds & Gatos Rabbit pate to see if his intermittent diarrhea is a result of a protein sensitivity. He’s been doing relatively well on it, so I bought another case to add to his rotation. When I opened a can from the new case, I immediately noticed that the food had a different texture. It was grittier, and it had some large bone shards that were not present in previous cans.

I’ve picked out as many of the large shards as I could and fed the food to him, since the meat itself seemed fine.

However, today, the second day on this new batch, he had smears of bright red blood on his stool. :( Could the bone have caused him injury? Is it okay to wait and see if his next stool has blood, or should I bring him to the emergency vet?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Undigested bone can irritate the colon and rectum as it comes out with the poop. I'd have a vet take a look at the cat but it's not an emergency, IMO. Take a close look at the food next time and pick out any large fragments of bone. Smush the food around in the bowl to make sure you don't miss anything.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Or better buy your cat something else. It sounds like as if a bit of the bone shards has go to the bottom of his anus that is why there is bright red blood, probably scraping the anus while he is making a poop. I would take your cat to the vet cause the shards if not digested properly may cause some blockage, internal injury, or may make it painful for your cat to pass a bowel movement.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or better buy your cat something else. It sounds like as if a bit of the bone shards has go to the bottom of his anus that is why there is bright red blood, probably scraping the anus while he is making a poop. I would take your cat to the vet cause the shards if not digested properly may cause some blockage, internal injury, or may make it painful for your cat to pass a bowel movement.
I have been feeding Hounds & Gatos for a while. I’ve never seen this before. I would also contact the company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update:

I brought Rollo to the vet just in case, and she didn't seem too concerned. She thinks the bleeding was related to digestive issues that Rollo has been having and not due to the bone fragments.

I did get in touch with Hounds & Gatos, though, and they've been helpful so far. I still don't feel comfortable feeding Rollo food from this batch; I'm hoping other batches will be fine.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could have been a bad batch but if i was buying them again, i would check each item for bone shards, for all you know they could be grinding bones into the food for the bone marrow, and then you will have to be careful for constipation as too much grinned bone can cause constipation calcium build up. I dunno its just my opinion