Bone Content %

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my 5 months old kitten raw and canned food ever since I got her at 3 months. I source the raw commercially, from a supplier that I found to be following the most closely to Dr Pierson’s recipe. But recently I found out that the percentage of bone is 6% instead of 10% as often recommended. Is this okay or should I supplement with meaty bones?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't math right now, but if you want to figure this one out, you can. Dr Pierson said we could lower the bone content because of Tom's bladder problems and so instead of 2:1 on bone-in v bone-less, we're doing 1:1.
The rabbit is 15% bone, so when I make the batch for the month, we're using 9 lbs of rabbit and about 9-10 lbs of thighs I cut the bones out of (it fluctuates because some packages of meat are 2 lbs and others are 2.2 lbs)
So... whatever the bone comes out to, I was told was ok. You ideally do not want to go over 10%.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between 6-8 percent is fine per feline-nutrition.org although as lalagimp mentioned no more than 10 percent. I can't link now, however, feline-nutrition.org has articles regarding appropriate calcium / phos ratios.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lalagimp, I could be way off but I think that makes around 7%? That puts my mind at ease a bit!

Thanks all! I would still love to give her meaty bones as weekly treats thing. I don't know how she'd take to that as she's still quite young.