Bone Broth

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we made some bone broth with chicken feet and livers.....
Will this be okay?

Do you have any suggestions for an IBD/Lymphoma kitty?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
bone broth is actually supposed to be made mainly from bones. The marrow provides most of the nutrients.

As long as you didn't use too much liver, I guess what you made will be ok. Chicken feet as supposedly very healthy, at least for arthritis, so I've heard.

As far as suggestions for IBD, what kind of suggestions are you looking for. Food? I would think actual BONE broth would be excellent. Here is a thread on how to make it: i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions Otherwise, you want very easily digestible proteins, low carbs, preferably NO gums or carrageenan. WET food. Is your cat getting medication?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What if there were quite a few livers?

Right now she's eating Merrick Purrfect Bistro Beef and Chicken. She's on tons of medication. Diarrhea for like a month now. Her ATL (liver) values were a little high. A couple weeks ago she started throwing up eating even pate, so we're blending the pate with some bone broth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a very small amount of the broth as a treat would hurt. If you don't want to risk it, drink the broth yourself and make a new batch with just bones for the cat. Butcher shops often have a variety of bones to choose from. Ethnic markets are definitely a good place to look for bones.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you strained the liver and feet out of the broth and are only serving the liquid, it should be fine. You likely made a nice gelatinized liver-flavored broth. On a raw diet, my cats' recipe mix includes 5% liver for Vitamin A and B vitamins. More than 5% is not recommended because Vitamin A builds up in the system and can become toxic.

I suspect that most of the Vitamin A stayed in the liver and didn't leach out into the broth.

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ifwewerebirds ifwewerebirds , is part of her medication Vitamin B-12 shots? If not, that could very well be part of the issue with her diarrhea, IF she has been diagnosed with IBD. Also, here is a very informative nutrition article on IBD: Feline Nutrition – IBDKitties

Her B-12 was normal in her blood work, but so far, she has only received 1 shot. The oncologist hinted at doing that in the future, though I'm not exactly sure what he is waiting for.

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you strained the liver and feet out of the broth and are only serving the liquid, it should be fine. You likely made a nice gelatinized liver-flavored broth. On a raw diet, my cats' recipe mix includes 5% liver for Vitamin A and B vitamins. More than 5% is not recommended because Vitamin A builds up in the system and can become toxic.

I suspect that most of the Vitamin A stayed in the liver and didn't leach out into the broth.
If I'm just adding it for liquid so I can blend up her pate, do you think it will be okay?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm just adding it for liquid so I can blend up her pate, do you think it will be okay?
Yes, I think this batch is fine. She may even like the liver-flavored soup. Future batches, maybe only use 1 liver per quart of broth just to be on the safe side. You didn't say how many livers you used, but I do think most of the Vitamin A would have stayed in the meat.