Bonding with a cokateil

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds BAD but I've had a cokateil for a year now, I've tried so hard to bond with him and tame him and it's unsuccessful, one year later and he's still scared of me. And yes I have tried to find him an owner who might be more naturally skilled with birds who'd give him a better life, couldn't find one. i need tips, PLEASE. He doesn't want to play with toys or anything, he's healthy physical just was never socialized from a young age, he always watches me play with the kittens and i really wish i could snuggle him like i snuggle them too, its heartbreaking

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So one of the things with birds is that much like cats, things need to be on their terms. I once had a quaker that was untamed, and a Hahns who was tame but terrified of hands.

I found the most luck with having the door of their cage open and let them come out as they want to. Have a playstand, or other safe (and preferably high up, like a boing from the ceiling) area they can fly to available. It may take a while, but they need to learn confidence in their environment so they can then focus on confidence in you!

You can also help them learn to trust you by having a treat bowl on the door or similar. Everytime you walk by the cage, drop a treat in. It will help build positive associations.

Other people have found more luck with target training in the cage. I can't speak to that as much as I haven't done it. I'm on Avian Avenue, a bird forum, where you could get more help on that front.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So one of the things with birds is that much like cats, things need to be on their terms. I once had a quaker that was untamed, and a Hahns who was tame but terrified of hands.

I found the most luck with having the door of their cage open and let them come out as they want to. Have a playstand, or other safe (and preferably high up, like a boing from the ceiling) area they can fly to available. It may take a while, but they need to learn confidence in their environment so they can then focus on confidence in you!

You can also help them learn to trust you by having a treat bowl on the door or similar. Everytime you walk by the cage, drop a treat in. It will help build positive associations.

Other people have found more luck with target training in the cage. I can't speak to that as much as I haven't done it. I'm on Avian Avenue, a bird forum, where you could get more help on that front.
I tried letting him out, he'd just fly and hit his head on the walls it's scary

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Just let him on his own terms. He should be supervised when outside the cage just to make sure. How big is his enclosure btw?

Also, you can put his cage (and him) in the area of the house where he can see people, so he would get used to it. When nobody is there try to put on some music for him. Talk to him frequently, even when it seems he ignores you.

A friend told me that birds get stressed easily, and when they are under extreme anxiety their feathers could fall off, and never return back. So just make sure he is happy and comfie in his environment.

I have 2 budgies, the smaller type of parrots. One dances when there is music, while the other one is extremely shy. Both seem to still distrust me, even when they have been with me for many years. They were somebody's pets but I had to take them in when they were suddenly abandoned. It has been a joy taking care of them. They are such intelligent beings.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just let him on his own terms. He should be supervised when outside the cage just to make sure. How big is his enclosure btw?

Also, you can put his cage (and him) in the area of the house where he can see people, so he would get used to it. When nobody is there try to put on some music for him. Talk to him frequently, even when it seems he ignores you.

A friend told me that birds get stressed easily, and when they are under extreme anxiety their feathers could fall off, and never return back. So just make sure he is happy and comfie in his environment.

I have 2 budgies, the smaller type of parrots. One dances when there is music, while the other one is extremely shy. Both seem to still distrust me, even when they have been with me for many years. They were somebody's pets but I had to take them in when they were suddenly abandoned. It has been a joy taking care of them. They are such intelligent beings.
He's content I'd say. Never plucks his feathers or anything, but he yell when he hears outdoor birds from the windows

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any idea on how to return him back to the cage after he's out?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Any idea on how to return him back to the cage after he's out?
I never let them out because I have cats and its dangerous. So I have no idea how to coax a bird back to its cage. Once or twice my husband accidentally left the cage door open and they came flying around like crazy, but he luckily caught them back, before any of my cats devoured them. LOL.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just leave their food in the cage and they return eventually to eat. Can also be bribed with a favorite food ;)

You can work on target training through the bars first which would also help with getting him back to the cage.

My bird is out almost all day long. My cat is restricted to the upstairs during the day while he is out (and she is sleeping), and then the bird is locked up in the evening while the cat is roaming.