Bombay Or No?

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 11 month old kitten from a shelter. They knew nothing about him other than he was picked up in a rather rural area that also has expensive houses spread about and been there since December last year.

He has some odd personality traits (or maybe not?). He almost constantly purrs, and his meow like a mix of purring/curt meows. He sleeps in bed with us, follows me around, and is pretty much always on a lap/near a lap. He also does a lot of head rubbing, very affectionate cat. As you can tell, I'm horrid at explanations, but he wouldn't play with any toys we bought him, and we were getting kinda frustrated. Just about the time I started Googling he went crazy for a ball we had lying around...since I had come across the Bombay breed on my search my curiosity needs sating. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the potentially annoying question. XD;;

IMG_20170806_121622_529.jpg

20170803_111838.jpg

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your profile's location is blank; not knowing your location, it's nearly impossible to offer opinions, as American and British Bombay's have varying bone structure and different eye colouration.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your profile's location is blank; not knowing your location, it's nearly impossible to offer opinions, as American and British Bombay's have varying bone structure and different eye colouration.
Ah, apologies. I'm in America.

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Odd - the spoiler in my post isn't showing up for me.

America's a big country. I'm out.
I'm not seeing any spoilers either, but I'm unsure why my exact location would be nessecary? You asked whether I was in America or Europe, not specifically where. I'm in North America, United States.

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are less than twenty Bombay breeders in the U.S. If you were in Louisville, you'd have perhaps a far better chance of your cat being a Bombay.

FBRL: Cat Breeders: Bombay Breeders
So, basically, you're judgement is based solely on whether I'm in a state/city where they're bred? You implied that knowing where I was you could give opinions on his looks, then seemed to ignore that completely. I'm in Tennessee, driving distance from two of those breeders...but this probably isn't very helpful...still, thanks.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Shaerileth Shaerileth and welcome to TCS! And congratulations on your gorgeous new kitty.

Cats can travel with people, so I'm not sure why the issue of where the breeders are is so important. :dunno:
I really can't help you with the breed as I'm in Australia.. Just wanted to welcome you and admire your new mate. :thumbsup:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Shaerileth Shaerileth and welcome to TCS! And congratulations on your gorgeous new kitty.

Cats can travel with people, so I'm not sure why the issue of where the breeders are is so important. :dunno:
I really can't help you with the breed as I'm in Australia.. Just wanted to welcome you and admire your new mate. :thumbsup:
Well, It is important because even expert breeders who are taking care of their cats excelently can have a stud run out of their catio or scape by any human error, mate with some lady un heat in their surroundings and come back home.
Unspayed purebreeds that do not belong to breeders are less common, and that is why 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine was asking for a more specific location. No one is asking for street, house/flat number or banck account.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, basically, you're judgement is based solely on whether I'm in a state/city where they're bred? You implied that knowing where I was you could give opinions on his looks, then seemed to ignore that completely. I'm in Tennessee, driving distance from two of those breeders...but this probably isn't very helpful...still, thanks.
Looks don't tell much of a story, but together with location, and after attending a cat show here and there, they can help. Two Bombay kittens did, however, recently (perhaps six months ago?) turn up at a shelter in Bowling Green, and were apparently long line stock from Nikki Horner's original program in the 1960s. One was actually adopted by a well-known breeder, but it's not known what became of the other.

That said, only a DNA Marker examination would tell the whole story.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't really see many Bombay features in you kitty other than the color. Check out the CFA breed profile. You can see that the Bombay has a rounder head, smaller ears, and a stockier body than your baby.

Whatever his background, you have a gorgeous black DSH (Domestic Shorthair). What is his name?
Thanks, GoldyCat. That's really interesting. I've learnt a new breed. :tongue:

Shaerileth Shaerileth would you like to introduce yourself and your new friend in our New Cats on the Block forum? :)

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you for the welcome and compliments! ^^ Oh, and yes! I'll have to introduce myself! :3

Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico , I see. I can understand where you're coming from, I just hadn't ever seen anyone ask on the other threads I'd found online. I'm certainly no expert and am not great at seeing differences. I just thought it was quite odd his personality is the description of Bombay cats pretty exact. I guess I've just never had a lovey cat.

GoldyCat GoldyCat oh, interesting! Thank you! I was getting rather confused with the images I saw on Google...perhaps people are just mislabeling domestic shorthairs just because of colouring. And thank you! His name is Lucifer, but we call him Lou. ^^

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , Interesting I suppose that would make sense, didn't even think of that. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love your cat's name, It just seems to suit him hehe, he sure has the lovely dangerous eyes of a fallen angel.
I know sometimes the questions we make are really weird, and we do not always say what we are looking for because we don't want to make anyone get dissapointed if their answer is not the "correct" one for the cat to have any breed influence. I mean, everyone here loves their cat no matter their breed, but it is kinda nice to know where your cat comes from and identifying a breed makes us feel safer because we know what issues are linked to them and the personality that can be expected. But then, well, cats are individuals with their own personalities which do not necessarily meet their breed. You can have a moggie that loves swimming and a bengal who hates water, so to say, and that does have nothing to do with the fact that one is a moggie and the other one a bengal.
Anyway, you have a handsome cat and both you and him are very welcomed to the Cat Site. Take a look at the forum and enjoy yourself;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
USER=117447] 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine [/USER], Interesting I suppose that would make sense, didn't even think of that. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
Not at all, and you're certainly welcome, though I respectfully disagree with GoldyCat's assessment; I see far more of Mrs. Horner's original bloodlines in your cat than does she - but it's still a matter of opinion, and little else. I do chat with various breeders now and again, however, and keep my ear to the ground. It usually results in nothing more than a dirty ear, but now and again we've solved a few riddles in this forum, often thanks to abyeb abyeb here in America, to @stefanz in Sweden and to Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico in Spain. There are also some highfalootin' breeders who read this and the adjacent forum - Ethical Breeding - who step up and offer some pretty valuable opinions. The Cat Fancy is actually a fairly small world. Welcome to TCS.

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico , Thank you, we thought it was very suiting for him as well. :3 Oh, I see...I didn't really have a "correct" answer, just curiosity...and of course the backround knowledge for health is always nice. I think I was so thrown off by his affection and constant lap seeking, not that I'm complaining. XD

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , I certainly respect all opinions, whatever he is, we love him the same. :3

Thank you all for the welcomes!! We appreciate it! I hope to learn a bit whilst here. :3

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I know I'm a little late to the party here (I was working...). Your kitty is absolutely gorgeous! He does have that coat/eye color combo Bombays are known for, but your kitty is different in body structure. Bombays have a rounder, more Burmese-type head, and also a body type closer to the Burmese (they are a Burmese off-shoot breed, after all). I think your kitty could have some Oriental influence, with that pronounced muzzle, big ears, and slender body. Technically though, without papers, he would be called a black Domestic Shorthair.

Shaerileth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
abyeb abyeb Thank you! And interesting, thanks for the opinion! You all are just making me more curious, lol. I know without papers he's just a black domestic shorthair. I'm not really worried about precise anwsers or anything, just curiosity and opinions...mostly because I don't have a very keen eye for differences. XD;;

cat1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be an American Bombay cat. My cat has a the same few white hairs too, it could be not pure breed, they list that white lockets hair is a a disqualification of bombay show cats. British bombay has the round head, but the American Bombay cat does not. Teary eyes, demanding attention, acting like a dog, social, vocal , eye color, muscular body, playfulness.