Bombay Or Just Special?

Cgagne123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my kitty puma for about 2 years I got him at the shelter out of a surrendered litter I was told he was a domestic short hair but I noticed he has a different face structure then any cat I've had I recently stumbled across a Bombay and thought that breed matched my puma to a T but he has a little white on his chest and stomach but all the other traits are exactly as the bombay hes my baby waits for me in the window when I get home I pick him up and he gives me hugs he wabbles a little when he walks and hes huge and lanky hence the name puma cause he walks like a puma could be a mix of a Bombay as well?
27503DB6-1CEE-4B72-8A67-60E4B06EE127.JPG
20171231_153922_IMG_4500.JPG
20171206_164207_IMG_4418.JPG
20170826_002926_IMG_3840.JPG
20170715_190243_IMG_3598.JPG
20171210_143713_53462743357__2CEBAC4F-F787-4CE9-B1C9-5C41E139540C.JPG

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s very handsome! I would describe him as a black Domestic Shorthair. I’m not seeing Bombay in him, because Bombays have a rounder head with a fairly flat muzzle, like their Burmese cousins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cgagne123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s very handsome! I would describe him as a black Domestic Shorthair. I’m not seeing Bombay in him, because Bombays have a rounder head with a fairly flat muzzle, like their Burmese cousins.
He has an different build to his face its pushed in but no quite enough to tell in pictures he has all the personality traits as well as the long body and the excessive need for attention

Cgagne123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has an different build to his face its pushed in but no quite enough to tell in pictures he has all the personality traits as well as the long body and the excessive need for attention
His eyes also have green specks in them as well

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also describe Puma as a black domestic shorthair. He's so handsome! Most cats are not any particular breed.

Bombay cats are not long-bodied, lanky or large. They are medium in size, have relatively compact bodies similar to the Burmese, and shorter, rounder heads than your Puma. He has his own unique and wonderful look :)

Last edited:

Cgagne123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would also describe Puma as a black domestic shorthair. He's so handsome! Most cats are not any particular breed.

Bombay cats are not long-bodied, lanky or large. They have compact bodies similar to the Burmese, and shorter, rounder heads than your Puma. He has his own unique and wonderful look :)
Yes he is very handsome and sweet I've never had a kitty quite like him

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could have a cat that fits a breed to a T and still not have a single bit of that breed in it. Personality and behavior have so much to do with how they are raised and the environment around them. It means little to their "breed" as most cats are no particular breed. Unless you just happen to live in Thailand lol. A litter dropped off at a shelter isn't going to be Bombay or likely any purebred, it just isn't likely to happen, ever.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you just happen to live in Thailand [...]
I agree with everything in your post, except that the Bombay isn't a native Thai breed; it was originally created in the late 1950s by combining American Shorthair and Burmese cats. There is nowhere in the world where you will find Bombay cats running around freely; it is a rare breed. Here is a PDF presentation on the Bombay that will tell you all about it :)
http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/judges-ce/Bombay.pdf

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: jen

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh good point, I know you aren't going to find them freely :lol::lol::lol: that would be crazy

Ooo and thanks for the link! I love to learn this stuff.