Bombay Kitten?

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I am new on this site and really hoping someone might have some insight into my question. Recently we adopted a little black kitten. The previous owners said her mother was a Bombay, and she certainly looks like a Bombay in the photos but she wasn't available to be viewed (they said she had run off and abandoned her kittens - suspicious). They said the father was the neighbour's black cat but they don't know what breed her is. In my view our kitten certainly has the appearance of a Bombay in her face and her temperament, and her black coat is super shiny. She does have one white spot on her chest so I know that means she isn't full Bombay, but I think she is half? I know it doesn't really matter but I'm just interested :) Does anyone have any ideas? I've included a photo of her mother and her with her litter mates.
Thank you so much!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is a good answer on bombay look alike from yesterday, with links and such.

Money bet this prettie is a domestic.

Re moms from abandon their kittens. It may happen. Cats arent protected by nursing. So she could get into a new heat already after a week. And if there was a tom somewhere nearby and she felt the scent - Houdini could learn a few tricks from such a cat in heat!!!

And of course, well outside, drunk by love, or being normally an inside only family girl, bad things may easily happen...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without papers the question is moot. She will be known as a black domestic shorthair. People who have kittens to find a home for often say it looks like this breed, etc. but without papers to prove it it is worthless. And why would they let a relatively rare purebred can run off to mate with whatever? She may or may not have Bombay in her background, but nonetheless, she is a beautiful kitten!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lovely kitten!

I would also describe your kitten as a black domestic shorthair. She doesn't appear to be a Bombay cat. The Bombay cat has a distinctive short and rounded head type, similar to the Burmese. I know it can be confusing when you search on the internet for information, since many of the pictures on the internet labeled "Bombay cat" are simply black domestic shorthairs. Here's a link to CFA's breed presentation on the Bombay, so you can see some pictures of Bombay breed type: https://cfa-files.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/breed-presentations/Bombay.pdf

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs, but that's okay -- domestic shorthairs are great cats, too! Your kitten is beautiful in her own right, and doesn't need a breed label to make her any more special :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone 😊 whatever breed or non-breed she is, she’s adorable and we love her so much!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a dsh black kitten to me. Please do tell the owner to get the female cat fixed ASAP. And make sure she knows that mom isn't a bombay either. So she's not thinking she has this purebred cat who will make money selling kittens.