Boiled Egg White For Kidney Issue?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I’ve been reading about egg white being good for my Baby with kidney issue. How much boiled egg white can I give him in a day? thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I used to feed my kidney cat egg whites from the carton, which meant I could'nt
necessarily boil them, since I'm speaking of simply a carton of egg whites, not a carton of eggs :wink: I would use them "as is" and puree them into her canned food to bring down the amount of phos in her food and add in extra protein. Depending on what stage your cat is in, this might be an option. Later stage kidney disease should not get too much protein (still), but earlier stage needs good quality protein so they don't lose muscle mass (IMHO). As for the amount to use, I usually used about the equivalant of 1 egg white per day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I will continue to give him egg whites mix with his food, he really loves it.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I saw your other thread where he's losing weight. Unfortunately, egg whites don't have very many calories at all. They DO have great protein, but very little calories. Does that new food you started him on have less calories than his old food? (I'm speaking of the new kidney diet food) Does the canned version have more calories per serving than the dry? With my girl, I fed her several (7 - 9) small meals throughout the day and night rather than regular meals. She ate better that way, plus it always seemed to keep are tummy feeling better to always have something in it...less spitting up from over acidity.

What stage is your boy in? If your Vet hasn't said, do you have his number from his bloodwork? His creatinine specifically?

Are you aware of this website: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It is my "go to" for most things kidney related. Definitely worth a read.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw your other thread where he's losing weight. Unfortunately, egg whites don't have very many calories at all. They DO have great protein, but very little calories. Does that new food you started him on have less calories than his old food? (I'm speaking of the new kidney diet food) Does the canned version have more calories per serving than the dry? With my girl, I fed her several (7 - 9) small meals throughout the day and night rather than regular meals. She ate better that way, plus it always seemed to keep are tummy feeling better to always have something in it...less spitting up from over acidity.

What stage is your boy in? If your Vet hasn't said, do you have his number from his bloodwork? His creatinine specifically?

Are you aware of this website: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It is my "go to" for most things kidney related. Definitely worth a read.
His Vet has him on Purina Advance wet and dry. The problem is, he’s having very soft stool with it, even with probiotic added. I put him back on Weruva, but taking out the chunk to lessen the protein.The egg white is just added to provide the extra quality protein, and it has acceptable phosphorous level, he loves it. The weruva wet food makes his stool back to normal, but will try to mix in the new food and see. Yes I red Tanyas article on it, just grasping at anything at the moment, I can tell he’s on a decline. I also limiting his kibbles to almost nothing, and trying to feed multiple times a day with wet food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depending on which Weruva, you may not need to take out the "chunks". That's where most of the calories are, don't you think? The chunks are the meat, and the meat is the high quality protein. It's the gravy part that isn't high quality, if it's got "gunk" in it. Weruva typically isn't very high calorie anyway :frown:

When our last kidney cat was still alive, we would feed her a wide variety of foods, mainly because she was so darned picky. Sometimes the food would be really high in calories, and perhaps also high in phosphorus. Then the next can might be lower in both. Our Vet said not to worry too much about it, just make sure she ate, so I fed her probably 7 - 9 small meals per day and night. This kept her weight steady. She never gained back what she lost initially, but she also stopped losing weight.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on which Weruva, you may not need to take out the "chunks". That's where most of the calories are, don't you think? The chunks are the meat, and the meat is the high quality protein. It's the gravy part that isn't high quality, if it's got "gunk" in it. Weruva typically isn't very high calorie anyway :frown:

When our last kidney cat was still alive, we would feed her a wide variety of foods, mainly because she was so darned picky. Sometimes the food would be really high in calories, and perhaps also high in phosphorus. Then the next can might be lower in both. Our Vet said not to worry too much about it, just make sure she ate, so I fed her probably 7 - 9 small meals per day and night. This kept her weight steady. She never gained back what she lost initially, but she also stopped losing weight.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the weruva mack and jack, he’s also very very picky with different foods. He’s still getting the prescription kibbles, but mostly weruva I feed several times a day. He’s just on a rapid decline, he lost nearly a pound again when i visit the vet today for his fluid shot.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its the weruva mack and jack, he’s also very very picky with different foods. He’s still getting the prescription kibbles, but mostly weruva I feed several times a day. He’s just on a rapid decline, he lost nearly a pound again when i visit the vet today for his fluid shot.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:What did your Vet say about the weight loss? Did they say to just feed any and everything he'll eat? Since I still don't know what stage he's in, it's difficult for me to say, but with such drastic weight loss, I'd be inclined to leave in all the meat from the food to get as many calories in him as possible. Have you tried any high calorie supplements...something like Doc Roy's Forti Cal?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes:What did your Vet say about the weight loss? Did they say to just feed any and everything he'll eat? Since I still don't know what stage he's in, it's difficult for me to say, but with such drastic weight loss, I'd be inclined to leave in all the meat from the food to get as many calories in him as possible. Have you tried any high calorie supplements...something like Doc Roy's Forti Cal?
I didn’t talk to the vet. He went for fluid shots, and I asked the technician to weigh him, reason I know. I’m sure my vet will call, she’s very concern. I will leave all meat, like you suggest. He seems more weaker tonight and ate less. I feel really sad for him, just don’t know what to expect.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it will help any, can you smash up the meat as much as possible? Even perhaps add some water to the meat/gravy mix?
This cat is very picky. I just came from the store with 3 different flavors, he wouldn’t have it. He seems very weak, maybe not even enough energy to eat. I’m hoping tomorrow he’ll perk up a bit.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats with kidney disease often don't want to eat :frown:. At least that has been my experience with all three of mine. It's definitely a roller coaster, that's for certain. One day that act that they are on their death bed, then (hopefully) the next day they are bright and cheery again.

Is your boy getting any B12 shots, is he on antacids, appetite enhancers, anti-nausea meds or anything other than the occasional fluid? If not, that may be the issue. My last kidney cat needed to have appetite enhancers, which we rubbed into her ear because she was absolutely impossible to pill, and we also gave her antacids via shots, which she never even knew she got since we would inject them right into her scruff which she was getting loving :lol:. Worked like a charm.

Also, sometimes I would need to use toppers to entice her to eat, even with the use of appetite enhances, since those were only to be given every three days. Toppers can be pretty much anything that they like...tuna juice, crushed kibble, FortiFlora, Crushed treats of any kind, parmesan cheese. You just need to be careful if using human food to watch the salt content. One food that my girl seemed to really like was Iams Purrfect Delights TunaTopia, which was odd because she never cared for fish before in her life. Towards the end though, she absolutely loved that food, and it's actually pretty low in phosophorus and has a decent amount of calories - more than the Mack and Jack!

AND, we gave our girl sub-q fluids at home 3 times a week. This helped so much. I think you may be doing this once a week at the Vet's office. You could have them show you how to do it and do it yourself. Most people are scared to do it, but once they actually do it, they wonder why they didn't do it all along! And it'll save you a bundle of cash! Particularly if you get your supplies somewhere other than at the Vet's office. I ordered everything but the actual fluids on-line, then got the fluids at Walgreens, but not sure if they have those where you are located.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats with kidney disease often don't want to eat :frown:. At least that has been my experience with all three of mine. It's definitely a roller coaster, that's for certain. One day that act that they are on their death bed, then (hopefully) the next day they are bright and cheery again.

Is your boy getting any B12 shots, is he on antacids, appetite enhancers, anti-nausea meds or anything other than the occasional fluid? If not, that may be the issue. My last kidney cat needed to have appetite enhancers, which we rubbed into her ear because she was absolutely impossible to pill, and we also gave her antacids via shots, which she never even knew she got since we would inject them right into her scruff which she was getting loving :lol:. Worked like a charm.

Also, sometimes I would need to use toppers to entice her to eat, even with the use of appetite enhances, since those were only to be given every three days. Toppers can be pretty much anything that they like...tuna juice, crushed kibble, FortiFlora, Crushed treats of any kind, parmesan cheese. You just need to be careful if using human food to watch the salt content. One food that my girl seemed to really like was Iams Purrfect Delights TunaTopia, which was odd because she never cared for fish before in her life. Towards the end though, she absolutely loved that food, and it's actually pretty low in phosophorus and has a decent amount of calories - more than the Mack and Jack!

AND, we gave our girl sub-q fluids at home 3 times a week. This helped so much. I think you may be doing this once a week at the Vet's office. You could have them show you how to do it and do it yourself. Most people are scared to do it, but once they actually do it, they wonder why they didn't do it all along! And it'll save you a bundle of cash! Particularly if you get your supplies somewhere other than at the Vet's office. I ordered everything but the actual fluids on-line, then got the fluids at Walgreens, but not sure if they have those where you are located.
Thank you for continue to help me with my baby. Although he’s lethargic, he’s eating just fine, I feed him every two hours of weruva wet food. I add phosphorus the vet gave, little boiled egg white, and tuna juice. He’s also doing good going to the pan, and he drinks. I started to mix his prescription wet food, but it’s giving him soft stool, even with probiotic added, so I may need to stop that, he seems to get irritated with soft stool. I tried to do the fluid shots at home a few times, but I can’t seem to get it right, made him bleed couple of times, so I take him to the vet for that. I’m also giving him salmon oil made for cats. Hes very weak on his legs, but still hoping for his recovery.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great that he has a good appetite! I guess I miss understood when you said he seemed so weak he didn't even have enough energy to eat.

Are you getting bloodwork done regularly on him? The reason I ask is that low potassium can cause muscle weakness and lethargy, and many kidney cats are prone to that. The good news is, low potassium is easily fixed, IF that's the problem.

Here is a section of the website referenced above that explains low potassium: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - All About Potassium

I don't know at all that that's the issue, none of mine ever had that particular problem (low potassium), although they ALL did get lethargic and weak...it's just part of the disease process. Again, it really depends on how far along your little one is.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great that he has a good appetite! I guess I miss understood when you said he seemed so weak he didn't even have enough energy to eat.

Are you getting bloodwork done regularly on him? The reason I ask is that low potassium can cause muscle weakness and lethargy, and many kidney cats are prone to that. The good news is, low potassium is easily fixed, IF that's the problem.

Here is a section of the website referenced above that explains low potassium: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - All About Potassium

I don't know at all that that's the issue, none of mine ever had that particular problem (low potassium), although they ALL did get lethargic and weak...it's just part of the disease process. Again, it really depends on how far along your little one is.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet this morning, told her the prescription food is not working out, she says just keep him on weruva. He just doesn’t want to do anything, except when he goes to the pan,drink and eat, then back to bed, lying head down. My vet said just to keep him comfortable, and we’re doing a blood test again next week. To be honest, he’s on a decline, and just holding on what seems to be a sliver of hope, but it’s hope.