Boiled Egg Or Scrambled

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone feed their cat this? I was thinking of scrambled eggs without oil, just cooked plain or a boiled egg occasionally.
I think my cat was previously feed human food probably raw, he went crazy over the smell of raw ground beef when I made burgers the other day.
I have read online that eggs in moderation are ok.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eggs are very nutritious. You can serve them however your cat likes them best, there's really no difference, it's up to the cat. You can even give yolks raw, if the chance of salmonella is low in your area. But don't give raw egg whites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I think he will like them. I felt a bit bad not giving him the raw ground beef when he was so excited and thought it was for him.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only one of my cats likes eggs. I scramble one in a bit of butter and she likes it. Every now and then is fine.

She thinks everything I make is for her. She will jump up on the table and wait for her dish to be filled. I get the stink eye if she doesn't get any so I have to give her a treat if it is not mealtime.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats will eat anything that smells like cooked egg whites, but they do like raw yolks. Eggs are perfectly healthy as a treat. As Willowly mentioned, don't offer raw egg whites, but cooked are fine if your cat likes them.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I plan to try eggs. I have only had him seven days. He is not picky on food so far, I think he will like them as a treat.
I wondered about eggs, in the Mog The Cat children's books, she gets an egg for breakfast. Not that I plan to give him an egg everyday just from time to time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One or two eggs per week will be a nice treat. Just remember eggs are 77 calories each. ;)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie has eggs on a Saturday when we have bacon and eggs .. she has them fully cooked! I can't go in the kitchen either without her following me and sitting waiting for food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One or two eggs per week will be a nice treat. Just remember eggs are 77 calories each. ;)
Chicken eggs are ok for cats, right? Some supermarkets have duck eggs and quail eggs, especially ethnic markets and higher end specialty markets. Would other types of eggs be ok?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, I would think all bird eggs would be fine. The yolk is full of nutrients...it's essentially what the baby bird inside the egg would eat as it develops until it hatches. (Of course, store eggs are not fertilized eggs...so there is no baby bird in there. ;)) The whites are almost all protein. I wouldn't think that the nutrients would be terribly different due to different bird species.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Of course, store eggs are not fertilized eggs...so there is no baby bird in there. ;))
Asian markets may have fertilized eggs that actually do have a baby bird inside. It's a delicacy called balut and is very popular in the Philippines. I wonder if raw feeders would actually feed balut to a cat? :think:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting! I haven't been to the Asian market here in awhile. I need to go "site seeing" there again some time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Balut isn't raw. And it's a little bit past being just a fertilized egg! Eww :barf:
But probably free-roaming cats do sometimes eat half-developed eggs if given the chance.

Sometimes farm eggs are fertilized, you just see a little red spot where the embryo would have developed. But, yeah, most store egg hens won't ever see a rooster, so store eggs definitely aren't fertilized.

Different eggs have different nutrient profiles (like, duck eggs are higher in fat, etc.) but I would think they're all pretty nutritious.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My elderly cat Scooter likes them scrambled sometimes and boiled others. I give it to him to boost his calories. I supplement his cat food with cooked eggs, cooked chicken and sometimes cooked hamburger. Since these are human foods, they get cooked because an old cat doesn't need salmonella too.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all replies