Body changes in female cats post birth

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After human women give birth, their bodies are prone to a list of changes. Is this the same for cats? I can't seem to find any information on permanent changes resulting from birth.

Our female cat was young when she had her two litters, but I am curious if that changed her body. We've noticed some awkwardness in her hind legs or hips, a bit more of a belly, and what we call a "pouchy" anus.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any permanent changes in the queens I've had. Is it her anus really or the primordial pouch? The second is normal and has gotten larger on Lily, which may be the result of pregnancy. If it is her anus, you might want to mention it to your vet the next time you take her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying! Yes, her anus just seems to protrude more than cats I have owned before, but her vet didn't seem concerned.

Freya is a small cat, but has a round tummy. She had her final set of five kittens about six months ago, so I wonder if part of her shape could be from motherhood. How long did it take for Lily's belly to return to her usual size?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The more a cat cycles reguardl3ss of pregnancy means her risk of reproductive cancers gets higher each time. Breast cancers are also a risk in unaltered cats.

Each pregnancy also increaes the risk of miscarrage or spontanious abortion it is extremly hard on their bodys too. If you have ever seen a kitten mill breeder the poor things are a mess from overbreeding, kittens are litteraly yanked off the teat so she can breed again.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying! Yes, her anus just seems to protrude more than cats I have owned before, but her vet didn't seem concerned.

Freya is a small cat, but has a round tummy. She had her final set of five kittens about six months ago, so I wonder if part of her shape could be from motherhood. How long did it take for Lily's belly to return to her usual size?
Lily's belly was normal size when I got her. Her kittens had been born several months earlier. Her primordial pouch has never gone down, and it's so big it nearly drags the ground. If it does that, I'll have a talk with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The more a cat cycles reguardl3ss of pregnancy means her risk of reproductive cancers gets higher each time. Breast cancers are also a risk in unaltered cats.

Each pregnancy also increaes the risk of miscarrage or spontanious abortion it is extremly hard on their bodys too.
Wow, that is crazy. I have always chosen to fix my pets, but I have always had boys before. I had no idea female cats faced such extreme health risks! I suppose in the wild it makes sense, as a natural preventative from over breeding.

Freya was captured with her known second litter and best guess is that she is about two, so I hope her risks are still relatively low now that she has been fixed. She certainly seems happy to be done raising kittens!