Bobcat Or Lynx???

SMATTINGLY88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I’ve read a lot of post on here of people thinking their cats are bobcats. I adopted a cat from a shelter that takes in cats from all over Tx. This particular cat came from a shelter 200 miles away from here, probabaly about an hour or two out of Louisiana. I am aware most of y’all know what bobcats or lynx cats look like I uploaded a PhotoGrid I made to show someone else the comparison, for times sake. So what do you think? Hybrid, bobcat, lynx or just a really good conartist? She is reallllly small, I think the cat she was with in the shelter was not letting her eat. Her body is growing but her head is still small lol. Also you can’t tell in the photos but she had the wider neck hair ...?? I don’t know if I’m saying that right, but it almost looks like a lion main just around her neck. Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Texas. Many years ago, I had an acquaintance that claimed he had a Bobcat/domestic cat cross. He didn't tell me how he got the cat. But there were two strange things about the cat. He was large for a domestic neutered male cat, over 15 lbs. And he would not drink water from a bowl, only from a running faucet. His owner said when he went out, he would leave the bathtub faucet on drip. Plus when you picked up the cat, the first thing you noticed was that he had absolutely no body fat. His body felt as if it were solid muscle. My acquaintance said the vet had told him that his cat was a cross, most likely between a Bobcat tom and a domestic female. I think he said the vet told him that the cat would probably be sterile, but he had him neutered to avoid behavioral problems.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
brass cat -- that looks like one of the bogus "Bigfoot" photographs from a couple of decades ago.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to hybrid cats with the results/intention of something "housecat-able" with the looks of an exotic cat, MANY things work. (Savannahs, Bengals, Caracats, Chausies, and others). Many of the others have names and looks that would indicate many other different exotic breeds, BUT, most of those come back to Bengal roots.
Basically, the science works.
When it comes to Lynx though, the science behind it just doesn't work. Just because a cat is called something with "Lynx, or Bob" in it's name, doesn't mean it's roots go back to Lynx. Just means the cat probably "looks" a little bit like a Lynx, and was given the name that to imply as much.
Pixie Bobs were created by rounding up a bunch of domestic cats that sort of resembled Bobcats. Then breeding them to regularly achieve "roughly" the same appearance.
@1CatOverTheLine can probably explain the science part of it, and why it doesn't work with Lynx/Bob.
If you're an average dummy like me, you can always bypass the science, and follow the money though.
IF this could be done, it would be. Artificially for sure. Or naturally using Bobcats and any/all large domestic breeds. (using a Norwegian Forest Cat, or a Maine Coon would dispel any size constraints).
And there would be money to be made since Lynx/Bob's are common, easy to come by, readily available, not protected.

It just doesn't work with Bobcats.
But, sure would be cool if it did! I'd be 1st in line!!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a kitten (see my avatar) whose daddy was a Highlander-silver tabby mix. Her mama is a calico. Mama and baby live with us now--Daddy was mostly feral so got fixed, and is indoor-outdoor at the rescue lady's house since we've had a coyote in our yard.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her eyebrow whiskers have been worn off because she is so loved by the other kitties! We are crazy with 12 cats but there is a lot of love in our house!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Highlanders are really pretty cats.

The Highland Lynx breed development began in 1993 as a crossbreed of the experimental Desert Lynx breed and the Jungle Curl, to add the latter's curled ears to the former. Although given a name that included "lynx", it is without any actual wild lynx (including bobcat) ancestry. Recognized under the name Highland Lynxes, the nascent breed is classified by REFR as part of the Desert Lynx breeding group, which also includes the Desert Lynx, Alpine Lynx, and Mojave Bob