Boarding bengal and savannah in cage free boarding?

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found a cage free boarding place for cats only. They have group rooms (huge rooms with sky lights and cat trees galore) and private rooms (which are about the size of a large bathroom or small office, with cat trees and play things) 

I'm strongly considering boarding my bengal (4yrs) and savannah (10 mo.) while I'm away next month for 4 days. 

Has anyone boarded their exotics like this? And does anyone know if they will get along in the group rooms or if I should just do a private room?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm way out of my league here knowing nothing except what I read about Bengals and Savannah's, but has the placed dealt with exotics before?  Do they have real-life experience?  And (pardon my terminology), what generation(?) are they, i.e., F-1, F-5?

And in any case, I'd go with a private room.  The other cats may never have seen/smelled an exotic before.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I've learned recently, I think keeping them separated will be much better for all involved.  It seems unlikely that they will be accepting of unknown domestics, and vice versa.  CatPerson is the resident expert on Bengals/Savannah's and I'm sure she'll chime in eventually.  

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've learned recently, I think keeping them separated will be much better for all involved.

Yes, as a generalization, I would agree with that

It seems unlikely that they will be accepting of unknown domestics, and vice versa.

Again, asl a generalization, I would agree with that

CatPerson is the resident expert on Bengals/Savannah's

While that is very very sweet and kind, I am NO expert. People like: Marjorie, Collete, Sue Arnold, and Sara are the experts have been doing this for MORE years then I am alive and have contributed more to exotic and exotic cat hybrid care/knowledge then I ever hope to be able to do. But, again, thank you, for being so very very sweet

and I'm sure she'll chime in eventually.  

Eventually has arrived. By the way, is this Cynthia I know from real life?  My son and daughter, saw your comment on the previous post, about how I asked if the black domestic kitten was actually an exotic cat in the Panthera genus
I'm way out of my league here knowing nothing except what I read about Bengals and Savannah's,

Reading is good, that is how we all started learning, including me. Depending on what you have read, depends on your knowledge base. In general, what I have noticed, is that is what is written about Savannahs (excluding F1's) is VERY accurate. While, what is written about Bengals, does not seem to be terribly accurate. Only because, from what I have read V.S witnessed does not match. I.E., what people read makes them sound like a purely domestic cat that is ONLY SLIGHTLY more active. This is NOT the case in my experience. They are like every other hybrid (Chausie/Jungle Cat hybrid, Safari or Savannah), meaning just as active and just as prone to "mischief".

but has the placed dealt with exotics before?

Yes, that is a very good point
, has this facility ever watched an exotic cat hybrid? If so, was it an early or late generation hybrid? If they have, "what is the facilities escape protocol/safety measure's to prevent it"? Since, the exotic cat hybrids are "far more crafty" and "physically fit" then the average domestic, so are "more prone to want to escape".

Do they have real-life experience? 

Another, very very good question. If they do in fact have any real-life experience, I would ask for names/phone number of past clients. In order, to see if they where "satisfied". Plus, IMHO, it is also important to see, if, the cats came out "healthy" both "physically (no disease) and mentally (no one injured or they are not injured)".

And (pardon my terminology), what generation(?) are they, i.e., F-1, F-5?

Your terminology is GREAT
. I BELIEVE the Bengal is SBT/F5/F6 and the Savannah is an F3.

And in any case, I'd go with a private room.  The other cats may never have seen/smelled an exotic before.

Again, I would agree with the above for a generalization. But, when dealing with exotic cat hybrids it should be "viewed" on a case by case basis. But, due to my paranoid self regarding them "I tend to air on too safe side"
!
Found a cage free boarding place for cats only. They have group rooms (huge rooms with sky lights and cat trees galore) and private rooms (which are about the size of a large bathroom or small office, with cat trees and play things) 

While, that all sounds lovely, as always, I have many questions
. Number one, what type of vaccines do the cats need to attend the facility? If they require the FeLV vaccine, I would NOT do it. Since, in the foundation hybrids, whether they are early generation (F1-F3) or later generation (F4-SBT) they should not be given live or modified live vaccines. Since, those type of vaccines can actually GIVE the exotic cat hybrid the disease. Lastly, what do they do about special diets like you have for your Bengal? Does your F3 Savannah have a preference for a "special litter type" or a "special box? If so, how do they accommodate that?

I'm strongly considering boarding my bengal (4yrs) and savannah (10 mo.) while I'm away next month for 4 days. 

How is the Bengal with pure domestic cats, that he is NOT familiar with? As far as, the F3 Savannah goes, he is an early generation cat. So, one should, at least in my humble opinion, be cautious from here on in when introducing him to purely domestic cats he did not grow up with. Since, your F3 Savannah is now in "adolescent stage". What that means if for the next year and a couple of months, he will be "testing" everyone (human or animal) in his environment. If the animal (in this case domestic cat) is "nice" to him he will be fine. Plus, Savannah's, after the F1 generation are the CLOWNS of the hybrid cat word and have a VERY long "fuse". However, your F3 Savannah is now at the age that he "will not automatically submit" to an unfamiliar domestic cat! So, please keep that in mind. Since, when there is any sort of altercation between a hybrid cat (early generation or later generation) and a pure domestic, the pure domestic is going to "loose". Since, the pure domestic is not as physically strong as the hybrid, prone to "run and hide", which only triggers the exotic cat hybrids "chase" urge and MOST IMPORTANTLY, IMHO, the exotic cat hybrid has more "STAYING POWER" in ANYTHING it is doing, then the average domestic cat.

Has anyone boarded their exotics like this?

No, I have never boarded my exotic cat hybrids (F1 Bengal or F3 Savannah). I was always way too paranoid to do it
. But, there are plenty of people of the Savannah, Bengal and generalized exotic cat hybrid E-list/Yahoo list that do it ALL the time. The only unifying theme that I have seen, is this was done to the exotics cat hybrids since they where kittens (five months or less) and then into adulthood.

And does anyone know if they will get along in the group rooms or if I should just do a private room?

What type of "testing" behaviorally speaking is done when they are put in group rooms? While your F3 Savannah and F5/SBT Bengal might do just fine with some purely domestic breeds like an Aby or Egyptian Mau they would "torture" a breed like a Persian. If, they board mainly mix breed domestics (which I am assuming they do) they need to make sure of a few things. One, they put your Bengal and Savannah which "NON-CONFRONTATIONAL" domestics and ones that are active. Plus, ones that are not too small. Since, a "slow one", would be miserable and confrontational one, could be VERY easily injured by the SBT/F5 Bengal. In general, the Savannah are the clowns of the hybrid cat world. But, if, a domestic, that your F3 did not grow up with was to "threaten" or bite your F3 "all beats are off". Then YOU and ultimately, the foundation hybrid cat(s) "would be held responsible". So, what happens if your F3 Savannah and F5 Bengal do NOT get along in the group room, once you are GONE?

Lastly, if, you are going to keep them in the group room(s) the Savannah and Bengal must stay together. A friend of mine, boarded there two hybrids (higher percentage F2 Savannah and very high percentage F1 Jungle cat hybrid). The first night they where separated (I am not sure why). But, neither cat ate while being boarded, once they where separated. Needless to say, the owner was NOT very happy and both cats cost thousands of dollars in veterinary care afterwards.

Before deciding group or private room, can you have your cats interact with the cats, in the group room BEFORE you leave and see how it goes? To me, that sounds like the best way to go, if, you don't want to do the private room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Ritz
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They have had a bengal in for grooming, but they haven't had a savannah or bengal boarded :( 
The bengal is not within the F generations, but the savannah is an F-3.[/font]

@Sivyaleah

I'm inclined to put them in a private room too, but I wanted to take some time to hang out at the boarding place before my flight and see if they might like the group room just in case.

@Cat Person

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]While, that all sounds lovely, as always, I have many questions[/color]  [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
[/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. Number one, what type of vaccines do the cats need to attend the facility? If they require the FeLV vaccine, I would NOT do it. Since, in the foundation hybrids, whether they are early generation (F1-F3) or later generation (F4-SBT) they should not be given live or modified live vaccines. Since, those type of vaccines can actually GIVE[/color]  [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]the exotic cat hybrid the disease. Lastly, what do they do about special diets like you have for your Bengal? Does your F3 Savannah have a preference for a "special litter type" or a "special box? If so, how do they accommodate that?[/color]

They do not require the shot, only a blood test confirming they dont' have anything within the last 12 months. The litter they have is the same as the kind we have and as for food, they just put a bowl of the food you bring and make sure its near your cat. They dont' guarantee that they won't eat the other food they have around their, but they do try to get them to eat the right kind (a point for the private room there) 

How is the Bengal with pure domestic cats, that he is NOT familiar with? As far as, the F3 Savannah goes, he is an early generation cat. So, one should, at least in my humble opinion, be cautious from here on in when introducing him to purely domestic cats he did not grow up with. Since, your F3 Savannah is now in "adolescent stage". What that means if for the next year and a couple of months, he will be "testing" everyone (human or animal) in his environment. If the animal (in this case domestic cat) is "nice" to him he will be fine. Plus, Savannah's, after the F1 generation are the CLOWNS of the hybrid cat word and have a VERY long "fuse". However, your F3 Savannah is now at the age that he "will not automatically submit" to an unfamiliar domestic cat! So, please keep that in mind. Since, when there is any sort of altercation between a hybrid cat (early generation or later generation) and a pure domestic, the pure domestic is going to "loose". Since, the pure domestic is not as physically strong as the hybrid, prone to "run and hide", which only triggers the exotic cat hybrids "chase" urge and MOST IMPORTANTLY, IMHO, the exotic cat hybrid has more "STAYING POWER" in ANYTHING it is doing, then the average domestic cat.

When we first moved in with the roommates we have now, Fur Fur (bengal) was very good with the new domestic cats. He sniffed them, he was cautious, but within a day he was fine with them. When a strange cat comes to the window of our house, that's a different story. Both Fur Fur and Icky (the savannah) will puff up and growl at the windows. Of course that's their own territory so it might be different on mutual ground.

This is all good info on how my cat might react. Very helpful.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]No, I have never boarded my exotic cat hybrids (F1 Bengal or F3 Savannah). I was always way too paranoid to do it[/color]  [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
.[/color]  [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But, there are plenty of people of the Savannah, Bengal and generalized exotic cat hybrid E-list/Yahoo list that do it ALL the time. The only unifying theme that I have seen, is this was done to the exotics cat hybrids since they where kittens (five months or less) and then into adulthood.[/color]

What do you do when you go out of town?

What type of "testing" behaviorally speaking is done when they are put in group rooms? While your F3 Savannah and F5/SBT Bengal might do just fine with some purely domestic breeds like an Aby or Egyptian Mau they would "torture" a breed like a Persian. If, they board mainly mix breed domestics (which I am assuming they do) they need to make sure of a few things. One, they put your Bengal and Savannah which "NON-CONFRONTATIONAL" domestics and ones that are active. Plus, ones that are not too small. Since, a "slow one", would be miserable and confrontational one, could be VERY easily injured by the SBT/F5 Bengal. In general, the Savannah are the clowns of the hybrid cat world. But, if, a domestic, that your F3 did not grow up with was to "threaten" or bite your F3 "all beats are off". Then YOU and ultimately, the foundation hybrid cat(s) "would be held responsible". So, what happens if your F3 Savannah and F5 Bengal do NOT get along in the group room, once you are GONE?

They have two group rooms that I investigated while I was there. One for old and low-key cats and one for the younger more energetic kitties. While I was there I only saw mix breed domestics in the 'energetic' room. Thankfully my flight isn't until 2 pm so I've given myself some time to hang out and see how the cats do int he group room. I will make sure to ask them what happens if they hurt one of the other cats. They said that they have only had ONE case where a cat had to be taken out of the group room for bad behavior and they said that rarely is there a cat that can't get along in the group rooms, but that didn't include any exotics. They have never had a bengal or savannah in the group room. 

Lastly, if, you are going to keep them in the group room(s) the Savannah and Bengal must stay together. A friend of mine, boarded there two hybrids (higher percentage F2 Savannah and very high percentage F1 Jungle cat hybrid). The first night they where separated (I am not sure why). But, neither cat ate while being boarded, once they where separated. Needless to say, the owner was NOT very happy and both cats cost thousands of dollars in veterinary care afterwards.

I will give explicit direction NOT to separate them.

Before deciding group or private room, can you have your cats interact with the cats, in the group room BEFORE you leave and see how it goes? To me, that sounds like the best way to go, if, you don't want to do the private room.

Yes! I will absolutely stick with them to test out the group environment first. Do you have an idea of how long to watch them? For example is 15 min. a good indicator of how they will be or is that not enough to make any assumptions on their behavior?

Thanks for everyone's help!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Cat Person

They do not require the shot, only a blood test confirming they dont' have anything within the last 12 months.

Okay, that is very very very good, IMHO!

The litter they have is the same as the kind we have

The litter they have is the same as the kind we have

That is good. Since, number one, the Bengal is prone to UTI's and like most hybrids, is "prone" to protest urination. Both of which you want to avoid. With a early generation (F1-F3) foundation cat, like your F3 Savannah, you need to remember the litter box training is LEARNED. It is NOT an instinct. Both the breeder and "wet nurse/dry nurse" (that is the purely domestic breed that is used with the foundation kittens, to teach them "how to be domestic", I.E., use the litter box, be social to people and other "domestic cat manners".

and as for food, they just put a bowl of the food you bring and make sure its near your cat.

I don't find that real "comforting". Again, I am real paranoid. But, with a exotic cat hybrid that is prone to UTI's and an early generation cat that can have VERY sensitive stomach hence, need to be kept on whatever diet is "working for them" Lastly, how does ANYONE keep anything near an early generation Savannah, does the word active sound right
?

They dont' guarantee that they won't eat the other food they have around their,

One must commend the facility for being HONEST and upfront.

but they do try to get them to eat the right kind

Dare I ask how
?

(a point for the private room there) 

and
!

When we first moved in with the roommates we have now, Fur Fur (bengal) was very good with the new domestic cats.

He was an at "adolescent stage" (around 10 months) or "adult stage"?

He sniffed them, he was cautious, but within a day he was fine with them. When a strange cat comes to the window of our house, that's a different story. Both Fur Fur and Icky (the savannah) will puff up and growl at the windows. Of course that's their own territory so it might be different on mutual ground.

That is VERY normal for both early and later generation hybrids! It is actually a sigh of a "well adjusted cat(s)".

This is all good info on how my cat might react. Very helpful.

Glad, that it was helpful. I am full of useless information
, unless, someone needs

What do you do when you go out of town?

When I had my pure African Serval I did not "leave town". When I had Taro, my F1 Bengal, I only did it twice for family emergencies. They where 48 hours each and I payed my vet $2,000 a day to stay at me home with her
! With my F3 Savannah, just like my pure African Serval, I did NOT go out of town!

They have two group rooms that I investigated while I was there. One for old and low-key cats and one for the younger more energetic kitties.

Sounds good to me

While I was there I only saw mix breed domestics in the 'energetic' room.

I would try and find out, what is meant by "energetic room" that your SBT Bengal and F3 Savannah will be in

Thankfully my flight isn't until 2 pm so I've given myself some time to hang out and see how the cats do int he group room.

That is very very very good. Try and find out, what other cats, are "booked" for the energetic room while you are gone.

I will make sure to ask them what happens if they hurt one of the other cats.

Also, God for bid, find out, what happens, if your hybrid KILLS one of the pure domestics. While, I doubt it highly, I have never seen it happen. But, I have heard about it happening and it is plausible.

They said that they have only had ONE case where a cat had to be taken out of the group room for bad behavior and they said that rarely is there a cat that can't get along in the group rooms, but that didn't include any exotics.

Domestic V.S. Domestic is NOTHING like exotic cat hybrid V.S. domestic.

They have never had a bengal or savannah in the group room. 

Try and get a "feel" for what they plain to do "if" they need to separate the exotic cat hybrids from the pure domestics and WHY they would separate them.

I will give explicit direction NOT to separate them.

Good good

Yes! I will absolutely stick with them to test out the group environment first.

Good good

Do you have an idea of how long to watch them?

As long as possible! But, with the SBT Bengal it should be "almost instantaneous". With the F3 Savannah I just can't tell you. I would try and get one of the "domestics" to try and "antagonize" the Bengal near the F3 Savannah once they are BOTH calm. Since, if the F3 Savannah, is prone to going "haywire" it will be when he "friend" is being "hurt". Remember, the exotic cats recognize "animals like themselves" and are "VERY protective of friends"!!!!

For example is 15 min. a good indicator of how they will be or is that not enough to make any assumptions on their behavior?

No, I would say a few HOURS is best, since neither of your cats are "domestic cat aggressive". Like I said, maybe the Bengal is good in 15 minutes cause he is SBT. But, a foundation cat, NO WAY, at IMHO.

Thanks for everyone's help!

You are welcome. I just hope, that part of this post, did not scare or upset you. I am just trying to give you every possible outcome. I am sure, all will go well
!

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have an exotic but I do have two pure bred cats who also tend to be sensitive. I honestly am not a big fan of boarding cats as so many will stop eating or get sick. A communal room is even more worrying because they can very easily pass disease. We did board my sisters domestic tabby and even though he was not sensitive or easily stressed out he always came home with a bad cold.

When I leave town I always have my mother watch my two or get a friend to move in. If these two options were not available I would hire a pet sitter though I would have to make sure Frank liked the person first because I am sure he would just stop eating if he had a sitter he didn't like.

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Cat Person

When we first moved in with the roommates we have now, Fur Fur (bengal) was very good with the new domestic cats.

He was an at "adolescent stage" (around 10 months) or "adult stage"?

He was 2 yrs. by that time. 

I will get a feel for everything in general. I will likely go with a private room, unless the cat's look like they're having a grand time in the group room!

@Franksmom

In the past I have always just kept my kitties at home and had my roommates take care of them. Until this last time :( due to negligence my roommates had friends over who let my Bengal out. He was lost for 4 days and since he's been back he's been a living terror. I never want to go through that horrible experience again and unfortunately even if I could get a sitter I still wouldn't trust my roommates not to screw up again and let him out :(

I really don't want to board them but I can't figure out any other option. I agree with you that it shouldn't be done if there's any other alternative. Thankfully this place has 24 hr. web cams on so you can check on your kitties any time. So that will be a relief!

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! Its on 24/7 so that's a plus!

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE

I just got my kitties back from boarding yesterday morning and here's how it went!

When we first brought them there last week we put both of them in the group room with all of the young energetic cats. There were 9 other cats in there and my cats were overwhelmed. The bengal stayed up on the highest cat tree in the room and the savannah curled up into a little hide-y hole and stayed there. The fur on the savannahs back was up in a mohawk, I think he felt very threatened!

After watching them for about 20 min. we left with the assurance from the worker that she would watch them and make sure they started to feel more comfortable.

Throughout the rest of the day and the next morning I checked on the webcam every so often from my iPhone to see how they were doing. They never left the two spots I left them in :( 

The boarding place called early the next morning and said since they weren't socializing they put them in the other group room, the one where they put the older more mellow cats. There were only 3 other cats in that room. I checked the webcam and saw that they were finally trotting around and playing with toys and climbing cat trees! The savannah was going around eating from all the food bowls in there! 

Throughout the next 3 days I checked on them every so often and they always seemed pretty happy. They were either sleeping on top of cat trees or sleeping in one of the wooden hutches they had in the room or they were trotting around and playing with toys! Every once and I while one of the workers would come in and give the bengal a good petting session (the savannah doesn't like pets from strangers) or play with the savannah.

I felt like they really cared about my kitties and that was a great feeling!

I've had them back for a day now and although they were very very happy to see me I think they had a good time at the boarding place :) Since they've been back neither of them have shown any bad behavior (the savannah has gotten a little more whiney but only when i leave him alone in a room and only for a few minutes).

If anyone lives in the Los Angeles county area and is looking for a great place to board their cats Best Little Cat House is a really great place! There's one in Pasadena, LA, and Burbank.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: that the staff members were on their toes and moved them to where they were happier. It's great to hear that it went so well.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that the staff members were on their toes and moved them to where they were happier. It's great to hear that it went so well.
Fantastic summery
. I need to get better at those
UPDATE

I just got my kitties back from boarding yesterday morning and here's how it went!

I hope you had a great trip and thank you for updating the thread.

When we first brought them there last week we put both of them in the group room with all of the young energetic cats. There were 9 other cats in there and my cats were overwhelmed. The bengal stayed up on the highest cat tree in the room and the savannah curled up into a little hide-y hole and stayed there.

I am REALLY GLAD, that I do not make a bet on there behavior in each room. Since, I would have lost that bet
! I suppose, this is why I say: "A cat is a cat and they are individuals".

The fur on the savannahs back was up in a mohawk,

My F3 always did that. But, he was always "happy" when he did it. At least, that is what I figured since his ears where always forward and his tail was straight up, though, it was ALWAYS like a "bottle brush". My pure Leptailurus serval always looked the same when he was "happy". But, he also made a specific hiss. Anyone who ever saw me interact with my pure Leptailurus serval thought I was going to get eaten or mauled at first

I think he felt very threatened!

If he never did that before and or his ears where laid against his head/skull and his tail wasn't full erect, I suspect so,

After watching them for about 20 min. we left with the assurance from the worker that she would watch them and make sure they started to feel more comfortable.

Sounds like a GREAT staff
. That is a major plus, IMHO.

Throughout the rest of the day and the next morning I checked on the webcam every so often from my iPhone to see how they were doing. They never left the two spots I left them in :( 

Aww, I am sorry
. I am sure glad they had a live webcam

The boarding place called early the next morning and said since they weren't socializing they put them in the other group room, the one where they put the older more mellow cats.

That is great, that the boarding place not only had another place to put them, but had the "presence of mind" to move them BOTH!

There were only 3 other cats in that room. I checked the webcam and saw that they were finally trotting around and playing with toys and climbing cat trees!

That is GREAT, IMHO. How did they react to the older calmer cats? I am mainly interested in the F3 Savannah. I figure the Bengal being SBT and older,  would be like "live and let live" type of "mind set". Though, if, I had to guess about there behavior (your cats) in the active room, I would have guessed the SBT Bengal would have hid and the F3 Savannah would have been "bouncing off the walls". How did the older "calmer" pure domestic cats react to your hybrids?

The savannah was going around eating from all the food bowls in there! 

, well glad he enjoyed the "hotels cuisine". Seriously though, as long as, his G.I. didn't get upset then all should be fine, IMHO,

Throughout the next 3 days I checked on them every so often and they always seemed pretty happy.

Yay
!

They were either sleeping on top of cat trees or sleeping in one of the wooden hutches they had in the room or they were trotting around and playing with toys!

Those sound like two very happy kitties

Every once and I while one of the workers would come in and give the bengal a good petting session

That is great, IMHO. Since, that implices he is so good with strangers and he is "calm" since his four day "escape".

(the savannah doesn't like pets from strangers)

That is most likely cause he is an EG cat and pure Leptailurus serval are not good with strangers. Since, they bond "very quickly" and "very strongly" to there chosen human or human family and do not take change or re-homing very well.

or play with the savannah.

Now, I am sure he loved that
!

I felt like they really cared about my kitties and that was a great feeling!

They sure sound like they really cared
. Yes, I am sure, it is a great feeling to know your cats felt safe and happy.

I've had them back for a day now and although they were very very happy to see me I think they had a good time at the boarding place :)

I am sure you are glad they are back. Of course they are happy to see you. It sure sounds like they had a good time at "camp", I mean boarding

Since they've been back neither of them have shown any bad behavior

Yay
!

(the savannah has gotten a little more whiney but only when i leave him alone in a room and only for a few minutes).

That is cause, he is probably like "mommy" where are you. Just ignore it, meaning, do not run and check on him everytime he does it. Or, he will have you "trained"

If anyone lives in the Los Angeles county area and is looking for a great place to board their cats Best Little Cat House is a really great place! There's one in Pasadena, LA, and Burbank.

If you do not mind, I will pass that along to some people I know on various E-lists.

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're definitely right all cats are different and I think they fact that both of my kitties grew up with strange kitties coming around the house when they were kittens prepared them better for boarding.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That is GREAT, IMHO. How did they react to the older calmer cats? I am mainly interested in the F3 Savannah. I figure the Bengal being SBT and older,  would be like "live and let live" type of "mind set". Though, if, I had to guess about there behavior (your cats) in the active room, I would have guessed the SBT Bengal would have hid and the F3 Savannah would have been "bouncing off the walls".[/color]  [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]How did the older "calmer" pure domestic cats react to your hybrids?[/color]

I only saw my kitties interact with the older domesticates for a little bit (in person at least, its hard to pick out little encounters on the webcam). At one point Icky walked by an older cat that was sleeping in a hole in one of the cat trees, the older cat reached out at him and hissed and Icky (savannah) just skittered away to the other side of the room. On the way out of the room Icky touched noses with one of the other cats and that seemed fine. Then once he was outside of the room (on his harness) he walked up to a cat sleeping against the window and hissed and batted at the window (guess he had more confidence with a pane of glass in between them) Thankfully no actual fights broke out, I guess it just depends on how Icky feels about the cat. As far as the bengal goes he didn't really give any of the other cats the time of day, he just ignored them.

Go ahead an pass along the info! I had such a great experience with them :)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're definitely right all cats are different

How do you feel about this saying: "A cat is a cat". I am not saying from a care/medical perspective or a nutritional perspective. What I mean, in less then eloquent terms is this: "Exotic cat hybrids exhibit the same behaviors a pure Felis silvestris catus just on a "amed up/higher/larger scale".

and I think they fact that both of my kitties grew up with strange kitties coming around the house when they were kittens prepared them better for boarding.

Yes, that is very very true RE: getting them ready for boarding. That makes me wonder if, I should actually do some fostering of/with Felis silvestris catus when I get my next hybrid. What do you think? How where the adult Felis silvestris catus that came in and out of your home? What I mean by that is how did they "act"?

I only saw my kitties interact with the older domesticates for a little bit

Ahh I see
. That is just fine, thank you, very very much for taking the time out to answer me
!

(in person at least, its hard to pick out little encounters on the webcam).

That is very very very true

At one point Icky walked by an older cat that was sleeping in a hole in one of the cat trees, the older cat reached out at him and hissed and Icky (savannah) just skittered away to the other side of the room.

Wow
, he is a very very very very GOOD boy, IMHO!

On the way out of the room Icky touched noses with one of the other cats and that seemed fine.

Awe, now that would have been such a cute
. I know I know, I am a sap

Then once he was outside of the room (on his harness) he walked up to a cat sleeping against the window and hissed and batted at the window (guess he had more confidence with a pane of glass in between them)

, indeed

Thankfully no actual fights broke out,

Yay
. Honestly, it doesn't sound like anything even CLOSE to a fight happened. Yet again, a major plus in my humble opinion
!

I guess it just depends on how Icky feels about the cat.

I would agree

As far as the bengal goes he didn't really give any of the other cats the time of day, he just ignored them.

That is JUST FINE. At least to me, since the SBT Bengal wasn't "thrilled" but he didn't fight with them. Yes I know, I am easy to please

Go ahead an pass along the info! I had such a great experience with them :)

Lastly, I wish that I lived closer. Since, they sound like a GREAT place to board an EG or later generation hybrid. Those are VERY hard to find, at least in my experience. But, maybe, I was way too picky at the time, who knows

Last edited by a moderator:

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very proud of my kitties, so well behaved!

Yes, that is very very true RE: getting them ready for boarding. That makes me wonder if, I should actually do some fostering of/with Felis silvestris catus when I get my next hybrid.  What do you think? How where the adult Felis silvestris catus  that came in and out of your home? What I mean by that is how did they "act"?

The domestics adjusted very quickly, on rare occasions my cats have tried to meet a domestic that wanted nothing to do with them. Thankfully, in my experience, no fights broke out and they just went their separate ways. There are two things I did with both my kitties from an early age that made things easier when they got older.

1. When I first got the bengal I was working at a desk job that let you bring your pets. I brought him every day and he played with small dogs and another kitten and I think it had a huge impact on how he treats other animals on 'neutral' territory. This isn't true for meeting new animals on his own territory, once he establishes his area he DOES NOT like strange cats in it. The savannah got a similar experience. I no longer work at that job so I can't bring them with me to work :( but he did change houses with me when he was still a kitten so he also got the early experience of meeting strange cats on neutral territory. I would highly recommend doing this if you think your kitty might be in situations with strange cats in the future. 

2. I take them on a lot of car rides. Any time I'm going somewhere where I don't have to get out of the car for longer than a few minutes (example: picking up a friend or going through a drive thru) I take one or both of them with me. The behave very very well in the car and love looking out the window ( I never roll down the window). I would recommend doing this if you hate bringing a yowling/stressed out kitty to the vet.

That's my two cents! I can't say if it works for every cat, but it certainly worked with mine :)

Last edited by a moderator: