Boarding An Flutd Cat

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Curious how you handle boarding your FLUTD cat? I would like to board my cat when my allergic (asthma) sister comes to visit (which happens once a year at most), if I can do it in a way that works for him. Given his first (and hopefully last) episode happened after he was boarded a local cattery, and that he is a high stress cat, I'm not sure if that's realistic. It's also the only time he's been fear aggressive (he scratched my Dad when he tried to put him in his carrier to take him home). I'm thinking maybe a cattery that has a set up where he doesn't have to see other cats (except possibly my senior cat that he likes) or people (expect those that are checking on him)? My parents are against the idea, I think because they think it would stress him out too much.

I'm wanting opinions from those with similar cats if boarding him is realistic, or if it would be a serious risk.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered just putting him in 1 room and locking him in there? Perhaps you have an office, furnished basement, or maybe even your bedroom that the cat can stay in and the sister can stay out of?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Being boarded involves a lot of stress for a cat and might cause a relapse. Confining him to one room in your house with plenty of interaction with you would be a better solution.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could always consider using an air purifier too. Hoover has one that's in the $100 range.