• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

any news on the trapping Kelly? or am I being too impatient
Thanks for asking Danielle!

No, no news. It's been so bitter cold (single digit highs), that the smart kitties are laying low and trying to keep warm. This stupid human finally decided to wait until it's a bit more mild!

Tonight, though, one of the women who feeds the cats said she caught a tiny kitten tonight. Her best guess is that it's about 8 weeks old, and is sick (of course!). She said she found it leaning against her garage door, shivering...poor baby.
Off to the vet first thing in the morning! This neighbor also told me about a place that she has found kittens before, so a friend and I are going Friday to check it out. From the sounds of it, it will require a flashlight and mirror to see into it. If they're not there, then I think either my "source" was mistaken, or this cat is somewhere where I won't find her. Keep your fingers crossed! If this doesn't pan out, we'll have to concoct a plan to start TNR'ing the adults, which I put off because I had the kittens, and didn't have the space to recover adults.

The big beautiful cat I saw the other day has been seen quite a bit lately. He actually comes up to the sliding glass door & meows at them! Maybe he's nice...I hope so! If he's someone's pet, and not neutered, they will shortly have a neutered pet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

... If he's someone's pet, and not neutered, they will shortly have a neutered pet.
You GO girl!!!!!!!!

And that poor kitty! It dropped into the single digits here, too. Those poor cats. And don't forget to keep those fingers and toes warm. So, now I'm including STAY WARM and BE WARM thoughts along as well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kelly, I just remembered. I learned something new the other day. I don't remember which thread it was - you may have read it already. But if you're trying to trap an un-neutered male, Hissy has a great trapping tip. Cover the bottom of the trap with litter - but then instead of using food as the bait to get the cat in the trap, sprinkle some used litter over the top of the clean stuff. This should bring out his territorial instincts, and an unneutered male could/should react by spraying inside the trap (which should trip the trap with him in it).

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You GO girl!!!!!!!!

And that poor kitty! It dropped into the single digits here, too. Those poor cats. And don't forget to keep those fingers and toes warm. So, now I'm including STAY WARM and BE WARM thoughts along as well.
Thanks Laurie!
In retrospect, I wasted alot of time out there...the "bait" froze probably about 10 minutes into the vigil. By the time I packed up, it was frozen solid.

It's up into the 20's now. It feels mild in comparison. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Friday!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh Kelly, I just remembered. I learned something new the other day. I don't remember which thread it was - you may have read it already. But if you're trying to trap an un-neutered male, Hissy has a great trapping tip. Cover the bottom of the trap with litter - but then instead of using food as the bait to get the cat in the trap, sprinkle some used litter over the top of the clean stuff. This should bring out his territorial instincts, and an unneutered male could/should react by spraying inside the trap (which should trip the trap with him in it).
Would my cat's litter work? She's a spayed female.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't see why not! It's the scent of the pee that they react to - they need to cover it up with their scent to make it "their" territory, as I understand it.