Blue wilderness Cat food

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question.

I just got home from buying three large bag of Blue Wilderness -- Duck, Chicken and Salmon. 

They are eating duck right now and love it.  I even did a test with Taste of the Wild in one bowl and the Blue Wilderness in the other.  Every single cat preferred the Blue. 

So I sat down at the computer and started reading thinking I was going to find a bunch of neat stuff about this food.  Instead I found it was making some pets sick.

I bought this food on a whim.  I had originally went to the store to only get cat food for my elderly cat who quit eating Taste of the Wild.  She only eats pate food now.  So I am mixing her raw food with Natural Balance.  I bought just her a case of cans.  I bought the Blue for the other cats in lieu of their regular Taste of the Wild that I usually buy.

Ideas on Blue Wilderness ?  Has anyone had bad experiences with this food?  Or have any thought on Blue Wilderness brand for cats? Good thoughts, bad thoughts....??

Jenn

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question.

I just got home from buying three large bag of Blue Wilderness -- Duck, Chicken and Salmon. 

They are eating duck right now and love it.  I even did a test with Taste of the Wild in one bowl and the Blue Wilderness in the other.  Every single cat preferred the Blue. 

So I sat down at the computer and started reading thinking I was going to find a bunch of neat about this food.  Instead I found it was making some pets sick.

Ideas on this?  Has anyone experienced this?  Thought on Blue Wilderness brand for cats? Good thoughts, bad thoughts....??
I do not feed any dry goods so I cannot say! I am sure someone will respond.
Jenn

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I sat down at the computer and started reading thinking I was going to find a bunch of neat stuff about this food.  Instead I found it was making some pets sick.
I really wouldn't trust everything you read on the internet. There are so many different types of food for so many different types of cats with so many different type of health/medical history, environemnt and genetics, that if you ask 6 people what they think of a certain brand you're likely to get 7 answers.

That's not to say online opinions are useless, though, but definitely take it with a grain of salt. TCS has a review section where members post their experiences on various products, although there doesn't seem to be very many for Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I'd check there first.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a rash of owners about a year or two ago that felt Blue reformulated their food and it was making some pets sick with diseases like kidney disease. Some owners also claimed that their pets suddenly rejected the food even though they ate it regularly for years.

I did have a weird incident with it. I had a couple of cans of the old Blue. I feed one to my kitty and she ate it, no problem. I had forgotten about the brand, but when I fed it before she ate it without hesitation. I bought more Blue and found that she ate it for a few days, but didn't seem to like it and then rejected it. I also noticed that her stool turned almost black. I remember another member said the same thing about her cat's stool.

To my knowledge no one has ever proven that anything was wrong, but it would also be hard to do. If you feel uncomfortable with the food, a lot of pet stores do accept returns of opened bags.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blue Wilderness -- Duck, Chicken and Salmon
That's what I've been feeding my two seven-year-old cats for three years, and they're both very healthy.