Blue Ridge Beef kitten mix or Darwin's?

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found this food available to me locally: Blue Ridge Beef kitten mix-- ground beef, ground chicken, ground beef heart, ground beef liver, ground chicken bone, ground whole egg.  (http://www.blueridgebeef.com/welcome.html)   I think the ingredients sound great (mine do well with beef, I know some don't). Would this be "complete"? Would I need to add anything at all?  I also was considering trying the Darwin's 10 lbs for $14.95 deal (http://www.darwinspet.com/our-cat-food/)--which food do you think would be better, or are they pretty equal?  Anyone have experience with either of these?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Darwin's and really liked it until I learned the only chicken and turkey parts they use are necks, hearts and liver. That means a large part of the "meat" in their mixes must be heart since necks don't have much meat. Heart is considered muscle meat by raw feeders and it is a very healthy meat to feed but it doesn't have the same nutrient profile as a muscle meat like thigh or breast. I don't think heart should be substituted for the more typical muscle meats. On their ingredient list "turkey" and "chicken" are listed before "heart" so it isn't like it's all heart though.

I still like the Darwins, it is reasonably priced and nicely packaged but I make sure I use it in rotation with other foods. In general I've found that with the commercial raw foods you get what you pay for. There usually is good reason why the lower priced ones are cheaper. Some others I looked at have high fat content which would also make the meat component cheaper. 

I don't have any experience with the Blue Ridge product. It does look good from the ingredient list assuming the "meat" is high quality. As for adding supplements to it, the FAQ on their web site says it best:

SHOULD WE USE SUPPLEMENTS?

WELL, I DO. THESE DAYS OUR FOOD CHAIN SEEMS TO HAVE LESS AND LESS NUTRITION IN 

OUR FOODS, PROCESSING HAS CAUSED A LOT OF FOOD VALUE LOST, VITAMIN AND MINERALS 

THAT WERE PERHAPS IN THE FOOD HAVE BEEN LOST DO TO MANY MAN MADE HURRY TO THE 

MARKET PROCEDURES.  SO YES,  SUPPLEMENTS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IN PROVIDING EXTRA 

ANTIOXIDANT PROTECTION AND SUPPORT FOR THE GROWING, SHOWING, AND WORKING ATHLETES 

WE CALL OUR FRIENDS.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did see that in their faqs about the supplements, but it seemed kinda generic. They don't say what supplements should be used with which foods. Some of their foods are meat and bone only, so I know those would need some organs added or supplements with organs. But the kitten mix sounded like it should have everything they need- I shouldn't have to add taurine or anything, right? I know extra taurine can't hurt though, to be on the safe side.

That stinks about the darwins. I may still try it in rotation with others, cause the price can't be beat. I just wouldn't want them eating it all the time.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if you read what was in the FAQ the reasons they give for adding supplements have nothing to do with the composition of the food but have to do with possible nutritional inadequacies due to modern farming  and food handling practices. I use supplements even though my foods contain meat, heart, liver, gizzards, spleen, and kidney.