Blue ragdoll?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we are getting this blue ragdoll on Friday. He’s adorable, but I can’t find anything at all online about solid blue ragdolls. Mom is blue mink, Dad is solid chocolate. Has anyone seen a solid coloured ragdoll?
72ED7880-1DCF-4DAB-B404-3E1D0A25C0D6.png

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ragdolls are a pointed breed so no there wouldn't be solid ones, a pointed cat to a pointed cat can only make more points. Run far far away from any breeder who is deliberately straying from standard, or in this case more likely a scam, there's a lot of red flags from that picture alone. Where are you buying this kitten from?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ragdolls are a pointed breed so no there wouldn't be solid ones, a pointed cat to a pointed cat can only make more points. Run far far away from any breeder who is deliberately straying from standard, or in this case more likely a scam, there's a lot of red flags from that picture alone. Where are you buying this kitten from?
What red flags do you see?
Getting him from a lady who breeds her ragdolls, but not a registered breeder.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s a mink ragdoll. That’s why he’s solid coloured.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have heard about solid ragdolls, but to speak the thruth, I really cant nothing about them.

Of course, the risk of scam becomes much greater, if you are paying prices as for a purebred cat.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard about solid ragdolls, but to speak the thruth, I really cant nothing about them.

Of course, the risk of scam becomes much greater, if you are paying prices as for a purebred cat.
It’s not a scam, she’s legit. I went and visited them today. She’s also not charging nearly as much as a pointed ragdoll.
Either way he’s insanely adorable and so playful. I’m good with a mink ragdoll instead of pointed!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What red flags do you see?
Getting him from a lady who breeds her ragdolls, but not a registered breeder.
Literally everything? I have no idea what a "mink" ragdoll is, google tells me it's a difference in fur feel, not coloration. Again, all ragdolls are pointed so anyone breeding non pointed ragdolls isn't breeding ragdolls at all clearly. A breeder breeding off standard cats-red flag. A breeder who isn't registered-red flag. The photo-huge red flag as it's the type you see from backyard breeders. Essentially you are paying a high price for a backyard bred domestic from the sounds of it which is another red flag. That is the scam. What registry are these cats supposed to be considered purebreds through? Are her cats tested for HCM?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some breeders who breed solid and mink rag dolls and register them but they can’t be shown as rag dolls, they are not all back yard breeders.

A good breeder will have a website, usually a social media presence, but not always sm, and will have many years if experience with good reviews. Interview you to see if you qualify to adopt one of their kittens and they will give you some sort of pedigree and registration papers. Also that kitten looks pretty young- they will not let them go at a young age, and many will also spay neuter in advance.

As for whether there are solid ragdolls the original ragdoll mom Josephine was an all white domestic feral cat and I believe her first litters produced solid black cats eventually the breeding split into two different groups and philosophies and the winning one decided they all had to be pointed. You can read about a lot of this online.

Mink Ragdoll | Mink Ragdoll Kittens | Seal Mink Ragdoll Cats {Pictures Included!}
Solid Pattern Ragdoll Cat | Solid Ragdoll Cat Patterns & Information

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some breeders who breed solid and mink rag dolls and register them but they can’t be shown as rag dolls, they are not all back yard breeders.

A good breeder will have a website, usually a social media presence, but not always sm, and will have many years if experience with good reviews. Interview you to see if you qualify to adopt one of their kittens and they will give you some sort of pedigree and registration papers. Also that kitten looks pretty young- they will not let them go at a young age, and many will also spay neuter in advance.

As for whether there are solid ragdolls the original ragdoll mom Josephine was an all white domestic feral cat and I believe her first litters produced solid black cats eventually the breeding split into two different groups and philosophies and the winning one decided they all had to be pointed. You can read about a lot of this online.

Mink Ragdoll | Mink Ragdoll Kittens | Seal Mink Ragdoll Cats {Pictures Included!}
Solid Pattern Ragdoll Cat | Solid Ragdoll Cat Patterns & Information
Thank you.
That picture was just to show what they each look like, they were not ready to go when she took the pictures. We are picking him up Friday, he will be 12 weeks. She seems like a nice and honest lady, doesn’t seem like any kind of scammer. I am not set on an ultra pure top of the line ragdoll, I don’t mind buying a kitten from this lady. Her adult cats are beautiful and her kittens are healthy, come vaccinated and vet checked (she has already sent me a photo of that and I will get it in person when I go get him). He’s a beautiful colour and very lively and happy seeming!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
That picture was just to show what they each look like, they were not ready to go when she took the pictures. We are picking him up Friday, he will be 12 weeks. She seems like a nice and honest lady, doesn’t seem like any kind of scammer. I am not set on an ultra pure top of the line ragdoll, I don’t mind buying a kitten from this lady. Her adult cats are beautiful and her kittens are healthy, come vaccinated and vet checked (she has already sent me a photo of that and I will get it in person when I go get him). He’s a beautiful colour and very lively and happy seeming!
Enjoy your new kitten and post pics 😀 mink as far as I can tell from reading about it are sort of pointed but they have darker body color which looks more blended without the contrast, and thye have teal green eyes and can have other eye colors. Which I think means they don’t really have a full point genetics because all pointer cats have blue eyes.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
The kittens being vet checked is not what health testing means, the adult cats if they are actually Ragdolls should be tested yearly for HCM, it's a problem in the breed and any ethical breeder wouldn't want to risk producing kittens with it. There's no such thing as an ultra pure ragdoll. A cat is either purebred or not and someone selling unregistered cats that clearly don't meet the breed standard as a breed is the scam. Telling you they are "mink" to excuse the coloration-scam. If you don't desire an actual ragdoll, or a purebred cat at all, why pay extra money for a domestic from this lady who is lying about what her cats are to sell them? Most scammers seem very nice, it's why people keep giving them money, it's how the cycle of backyard breeding and puppy/kitten mills continue, because people see a cute baby animal and lose all common sense.