Blu Ray Players?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody have a blu ray player? What kind? Are you happy with it? Do we need an Ultra HD blu ray player?

This is the I'm looking at....Samsung - UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player - Black

According to Consumer Reports, "4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player from Samsung with 4K upconversion for Blu-ray and DVD discs. It has built-in WiFi capability for connecting wirelessly to a home network and is 3D-capable"

We have our network and I can connect it with no trouble. 3D capable? Do I need that? Is it that important? We certainly don't have any 4K discs!

We don't have any blu ray discs, but I understand that you can play regular DVDs on a blu ray player. I've been buying TV seasons of some shows, not too much in the way of movies, but a couple movies here and there. And I've been buying them in just regular DVD format because that's the kind of DVD player we have; it's nothing fancy at all.

Rick's been talking about blu ray players and he says he's tempted to buy one. Hence all my questions. We'd probably connect it to the tv in the bedroom as I'm the one who watches all the old tv shows, movies, etc on the Fire stick. And when we'd watch something together, we'd watch on the bedroom tv as it's more comfortable. That tv is an older JVC HD 42-inch, nothing particularly fancy about it. 

I am reviewing the Samsung now, but wondered what you all had and if you're satisfied, if you could recommend something, etc. I know nothing about them. I'm still using my Fire stick to watch some TV shows, especially when I binge on a show.

Thank you for your reviews, opinions, help!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We are going to be in the market for one as well. Aaron's Playstation 3 played blu-ray DVD's, but he is getting a 4 for Christmas and they don't.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an old Sony blu-ray player.  It is 6 years old so no bells and whistles but it is still working the same as it did when it was new.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a Sony one.  It wasn't a very expensive one.  We purchased it when our DVD player died with one of the kids favorite movies inside.  
  I think this is ours:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-BDPS1700-Blu-ray-Player/50013157.  We don't use it for streaming because we already have Rokus for all of the TVs in the house.  As for playing disks (both DVD and Blu Ray) it's been fine.  It's done all it's supposed to so I have no complaints.  The kids watch more movies than I do. 
  I personally don't care to put that much into buying electronics.  I don't need the latest and greatest.  I want it to function and I want it to last a decent amount of time. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your opinions. We haven't figured out what we're going to do. We may wait to see if anything goes on sale after the holidays, too.