Blow Dryer Suggestions?

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, all!

Do any of you have suggestions for an inexpensive blow dryer I can use to dry off my kitty? He's terrified of the normal human blow dryer; I think it's too loud for him. I would let him dry out on his own, but it's been chilly around here lately and it doesn't seem to be letting up.

Thanks in advance!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i REALLY don't recommend a blow dryer. i still have scars from trying to blow dry a kitten who had been quite mellow during her bath, and this happened in the mid-'80s. i used the quietest blow dryer i ever heard, but she carved my belly up and escaped.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once we tried a tiny electric clipper on greg to trim his matted fur.

His claws sliced right thru my hand, you could see the layer of fat under my skin...very impressive as he was only trying to run away.

I would never use a dryer on my boys.

Do some research, see what owners of show cats do.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats have been in love with my blow dryer. I always use it sitting down and they sit somewhere close where they can feel the warmth of it.

One thing you can try is a small room heater with a fan. They are much quieter, produce less blowing, generally have a lower temp than a hair dryer and are freestanding so you wouldn’t have to hold it and can concentrate on handling the cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just one other thought. Do you really need to bath your cat? Unless they are a show cat or have gotten into something toxic, they really don’t need it. If it’s just his fanny that need a wash, a damp sponge to wash and a quick towel dry.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must agree with the portable electric heater solution. My cats like to sit in front of my portable electric "fireplace" after a bath (the fireplace is, in essence, just a fancy electric space heater). They adjust their distance to it as needed, so there's no danger of roast cat. I still watch them to see they don't get into any trouble.

If one were to use a hairdryer on a cat, I would think the best would be one of those bulky hairdryers with the soft plastic bonnet from the 1960s. They were much quieter than modern ones and had a hose that could be used to direct the warm air.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll try setting up my space heater for him the next time he needs a bath. :)

Just one other thought. Do you really need to bath your cat? Unless they are a show cat or have gotten into something toxic, they really don’t need it. If it’s just his fanny that need a wash, a damp sponge to wash and a quick towel dry.
He's had a few bouts of diarrhea which sticks to the fur of his butt and his legs. I've tried using wipes and wet rags/sponges to wash him off, but I couldn't get him completely clean and he seemed hesitant to clean the rest himself.

His breeder suggested bathing him about once a month, too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try adding a teaspoon of pumpkin purée into his wet food. Cats generally like it and it will help firm up his poop.
I have tried this before with mixed results. It seems that Rollo's soft stools are under control for now (fingers crossed!) so hopefully I can cut down on the amount of times that I need to bathe him. :)