Blood or red jelly-like substance in cat stool.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help, I discovered it last night, and have been checking the litter box ever since. So far that was the only one that had that stuff on it. I can't tell if it was blood or not, but that was the only logical explanation.

Please help. I can't afford the vet, or any treatment they offer. Could it kill him? What is the risk factor? What's causing it and how can I stop it? He's 8 months old, and acting normal, if that helps.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blood in the stool could mean a lot of things. You'd have to take the kitty to the vet to get the right diagnosis. Are you sure it's blood? What does it exactly look like?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the cause, I have seen some cases of blood in the stool become lethal.  Most of the times they are not and can easily be treated with antibiotics/antidiarrheal type medicine.  Could you borrow some money from friends or family to get your kitty checked out by a vet?

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep checking the stool. There's a CHANCE he ate something that would have shown up in the stool and appear red and isn't blood. Otherwise, blood can be caused by stool that's too hard to pass and tears the tissue it touches. OR serious issues like the others have stated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood in the stool could mean a lot of things. You'd have to take the kitty to the vet to get the right diagnosis. Are you sure it's blood? What does it exactly look like?
It seemed thicker than blood, but I can't be sure. I panicked,mand it affected my memory, so I can't remember anything except it was red and on top of the stool, not mixed up or anything.

Depending on the cause, I have seen some cases of blood in the stool become lethal.  Most of the times they are not and can easily be treated with antibiotics/antidiarrheal type medicine.  Could you borrow some money from friends or family to get your kitty checked out by a vet?
No, we're having some money issues right now, funds are stretched, bills are getting higher... The usual stuff.

Keep checking the stool. There's a CHANCE he ate something that would have shown up in the stool and appear red and isn't blood. Otherwise, blood can be caused by stool that's too hard to pass and tears the tissue it touches. OR serious issues like the others have stated.
I think this might be likely, as I haven't seen any more of it. That,and the fact that it seemed thick, maybe a little thick for blood.

Thanks to everyone.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like bloody mucus. Has the cat pooped since? Is the cat constipated?

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like bloody mucus. Has the cat pooped since? Is the cat constipated?
He is having regular bowel movements, nothing has changed, he doesn't strain, no signs of pain or discomfort, and he's still behaving normal.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a one time occurrence, I'd document it and just keep watching him.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bloody mucous is a classic sign of coccidia.

It won't be seen in every bowel movement but sort of more sporadic, but the bottom line is surely, he does need to see a vet asap.

Coccidia is an intestinal parasite.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bloody mucous is a classic sign of coccidia.

It won't be seen in every bowel movement but sort of more sporadic, but the bottom line is surely, he does need to see a vet asap.

Coccidia is an intestinal parasite.
What is the risk of death, and how sure are you that it is coccidia? I'm not even sure it was mucus. I'm not sure when we'll have the money to go.

Edit: I just did a little research, and it also said the cat would have diarrhea, but Indy doesn't. Other signs were:
Vomiting (None so far)
Depression/Lethargy (None, he still romps around like normal)
And oocysts (Not sure on the spelling, but he doesn't have those either that I know of).

He's also never in contact with other cats or feces, or any of the other risk factors listed. Now that doesn't mean he couldn't have it, that just means it's less likely, right?

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To answer your questions, coccidia is not a death sentence but it does need to be treated and if left untreated can cause more serious problems.

There is no way I can state anything as a fact that it is coccidia for sure, it sounds like what you saw is blood/jelly like mucous, which is a classic symptom that there is a coccidia infection.

I understand when money is tight, most of us do. But for the health of your cat and his well being, and to prevent something worse happening because of it, you really do need to get him in as soon as you possibly can. It won't go away on it's own.

There are ways to get help financially if you want to look into it.

I will post the link as soon as I find it.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really don't have a way to get any money up right now. I'm too young for a job until this march, there are no vets or clinics nearby for me to get to, as I can't drive. I'll just have to save every bit I get until I have enough, but that will take awhile. Are there any ways to treat it without a vet? Or even diagnose it? Like I said, he shows absolutely no other signs, not even the ones claimed most common.

Thanks for the help though. I'll just have to keep watch for now.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep a close eye on the cat. If you see the bloody mucous again, you need to take it to a vet. Do everything possible to get some money. Ask friends, family.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone that it hasn't happened since, and he's still acting normal. He probably just ate something he shouldn't have.

that guy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would still take the cat to the vet and ideally have x-rays done if possible. My cat did the same thing once but she was eating fine, no problems with stools or urination, and seemed just as healthy as she had ever been. About 2 - 3 months later she stopped eating one morning and then started to throw up water or anything that went into her so the next day she went to the vet. Blood tests were perfect so I had them x-ray her and she was littered with cancer and had to be put down. My cat was pretty old and she stopped eating the day after her 17th birthday and other than the blood she showed no sings of issues. I am not saying this is the same problem with your cat but behaviour like this is not normal and really should be looked into especially if this is an older cat..

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a young cat, and even if something were to be wrong, I still don't have the money to treat it.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The same thing could be caused by colitis. While that could have many different causes, you might want to eliminate any dry food because that can make the situation worse. Sometimes kitties with sensitivities or allergies to grains can get an inflamed colon that results in exactly what you've seen. Parasites can also be a cause for it (coccicida referenced earlier) but it isn't the only reason.

One of the features of colitis is that it can be occasional and mixed with issues of diarrhea or straining. There are diet things that can lessen the irritation such as doing away with any dry food and limiting the food to canned proteins-no fish.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He still hasn't shown any signs of anything wrong. No straining, no diarrhea, no lethargy, nothing.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happened again. I took a picture. This time it wasn't on the stool, but beside the litterbox.

Edit, picture won't post.

Last edited: