Blood in Urine, How long can it last?

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saturday night I had to take my male 6 yr old cat to the Vets because of a blockage. He said it wasn't really as bad as he has seen and only saw one crystal in the sample he was looking at but I'm sure there were more. Anyway now on Wednesday he is still at the Vets with a catheter in because he has blood in his urine. I think the blood could have started because of the irritation from removing the blockage. Also he let me slide the catheter in after he had inserted it to feel what he called the 'grittiness' on the lining. I remember the end of it probably touching his bladder. I told him this yesterday but he told me I hadn't caused any problems.

Anyway, I want to follow my Vet's advice but I am not sure if it is really necessary to keep the catheter in. He says he should come home tomorrow but I worry if he is still going to wait for the blood to go away because he didn't want to have to remove the catheter only having to put another one in he said which I don't understand why that could happen. 

I would really appreciate any of you that had these kind of issues with their cats to tell me your experiences.

Thanks

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sara's urine has looked like cherry koolaid for ages now. We're still trying to figure out what it is, but going by what you said, guessing the reasoning is different. Blood can be there for so many reasons though, so not sure they would keep him just for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know. He said he wants his urine to be clear but that may not happen for a while. I like this vet but he may not have a lot of experience in small pets. They also care for large animals.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It may be idiopathic cystitis which would be why there weren't many crystals in the urine. We just published an article about this topic - 

[article="0"]Feline Idiopathic Cystitis How To Improve Your Cats Life Quality​[/article]  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading that article myself yesterday as FIC is on the table for Sara. Very helpful and GREAT timing.

gangsta chanca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My own cat went through that before-and he did pee blood-A LOT. But after a while, it finally stopped. We now have him on a special food that it just for cats that have had a Urinary Blockage, dunno if your vet said anything about that, but it is supposed to help, so the poor cat doesnt get it again. When I went to pick up my cat at the vets had already removed the catheter.