blood in stool after negative test

mimibky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

so recently i noticed my cat has blood in her stool so i took a sample to the vet and they sent it to their labs and did the tests,

however, thankfully the test came back negative but i still  notice there is blood around her anus area but she is still acting and eating normal.

Please advise, i cant keep spending so much money when nothing is wrong! i love her too much to not do anything about it though.

thanks again looking forward to all your help

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi all,

so recently i noticed my cat has blood in her stool so i took a sample to the vet and they sent it to their labs and did the tests,

however, thankfully the test came back negative but i still  notice there is blood around her anus area but she is still acting and eating normal.

Please advise, i cant keep spending so much money when nothing is wrong! i love her too much to not do anything about it though.

thanks again looking forward to all your help
How are her stools?  Too firm, normal, soft, diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimibky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stephen!

thank you for your reply.

Everything is normal, even her stool, its just bloody

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

krys rivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat recently has blood in his stool (poop to be exact, not urine) and I took his feces to get tested. It also came back negative. This has only happened once thus far. Otherwise he's acting normal. I'm not home often enough but I have other family members who clean up his stools so I can't always observe them. Is it possible this was a one time thing? He is an older cat and has had a surgery a few months ago thus pain meds were administered but we took him off those. He was lethargic for a short time but is doing much better now. Also, he has been recovering incredibly well from the surgery. Prior to the other day he hasn't had blood in his poop so this is a relatively new thing. Any advice? 

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Krys, if it were only a small spotty bit, it may not be cause for concern.  Sometimes it is due to a particularly hard stool, or a dietary change, or eating treats not often fed, or stress.

In an older cat, however, you want to get regular checkups for him and any unusual habits or changes, you should have him checked by your vet.

What surgery did he have a few months ago?

krys rivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was for a broken femur, completely unrelated, but bad news.

I looked in his cat litter box and there's blood in his feces once again. Which is strange because yesterday he didn't have any. This seems to happen when he goes a lot as opposed to a little. I just took him to the vet in December so I may wait and experiment with his food a little. He is a senior cat so I don't want to wait too long. Any ideas or suggestions?

I think by the end of Jan or beginning of Feb I'll take him to the vet to get him checkout out. X-rays, blood, the works. For now, money is tight, and I need to plan accordingly.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By "goes a lot" - do you mean a lot of hard stool or a lot of soft stool at one litter box duty time?  Hard stools can cause blood in the stool.  As can soft stool as well.

Was the surgery for a femoral head or femoral neck surgery (higher up the long bone)?  If so, he could be trying to compensate with that injury (so close to the hip) - pelvic fractures and injuries for example, can cause stool changes, so if it were the femoral head or neck, please talk to your vet about this.  If he's having a little difficult getting around for example, it could be a bit painful still.

Try to get him seen and his regular checkup sooner rather than later - for now, at least call your vet to ask the above.

krys rivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

By "goes a lot" - do you mean a lot of hard stool or a lot of soft stool at one litter box duty time?  Hard stools can cause blood in the stool.  As can soft stool as well.

Was the surgery for a femoral head or femoral neck surgery (higher up the long bone)?  If so, he could be trying to compensate with that injury (so close to the hip) - pelvic fractures and injuries for example, can cause stool changes, so if it were the femoral head or neck, please talk to your vet about this.  If he's having a little difficult getting around for example, it could be a bit painful still.

Try to get him seen and his regular checkup sooner rather than later - for now, at least call your vet to ask the above.
He typically has a lot of hard stool, I usually don't make it downstairs in time to see if it's one or the other as its buried and hardened, since I'm at work. It seems the soft ones don't cause this.

I don't know the exact details, I believe it may be the femoral neck, but I'll check with my vet tomorrow to confirm. All I know is that it was snapped somewhere in the middle and they used a pole(?) to tie it together. He may be in pain but he's moving around quite a bit rather than lying down as he did the first month. Do you think that could be a cause of this? Even when he was healing his poop didn't have any signs of blood. This is a relatively new discovery within the past few weeks.

I'm actually taking him tomorrow, getting blood tests, potentially x-rays, and the works at a different vet while also providing another feces sample. I'll keep you updated.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's worth mentioning, and because he's a senior kitty, it's possible during healing of the bone that his bowels are a bit off (or unless you've been trying different foods lately and he's reacting to some varieties).

Talk to your vet about his diet, I don't know what you're feeding so can't comment thus far.  I do recommend canned for seniors however - pending his exam tomorrow, wait and see what your vet may recommend for those hard stools.

krys rivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I think it's worth mentioning, and because he's a senior kitty, it's possible during healing of the bone that his bowels are a bit off (or unless you've been trying different foods lately and he's reacting to some varieties).

Talk to your vet about his diet, I don't know what you're feeding so can't comment thus far.  I do recommend canned for seniors however - pending his exam tomorrow, wait and see what your vet may recommend for those hard stools.
I actually have been trying different foods as of late. He was a bit lethargic and he wouldn't eat cat food, just human food, so I gave him a variety of things. This was weeks ago though. He's now back on catfood and it seems around that time that this happened. I do give him canned food as it's the only thing he eats. Curiously enough, he doesn't like chicken canned anymore, which used to be his favorite. Idk if its because of how he digests it or if its because we used to hide pills in there and he no longer trusts it lol

krys rivers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So it's been a few weeks and it went away prior to giving him medicine to help his digestive system. I kept an eye on his poop and it was good until it happened again recently. I'm noticing constipation so I'm going to get his blood work done next week. I still have some more laxative medicine that I admit I stopped giving him so hopefully it's just that. Wish us luck.