Blood in clear liquid

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sqeeker ,16yr and 6lb, threw up about 2T of clear liquid that had blood in it before breakfast. It was too thin are transparent for me to think it was all blood. Today was a Bisque day. I waited 1/2hr, fed him, and he ate +50% immediately. An hr later he finished it.

His Food Routine: Dry all stage indoor pro-plan dry is always available and Sqeek nibble a few times a day

Am ½ Fancy Feast he eats 0-75% in several grazings. Never all. Nodens Arthritis supplement and Rescue Remedy

Am every 3rd day instead 0f Fancy Feast – ½ pouch 15+yr Delectables Bisque with 1/8 tsp Miralax, Nodens, and Rescue Remedy. He usually eats it all.

Mid-day Temptations or Greenies. It’s rare for him to get up mid-day.

Dinner Whole Fancy Feast he eats 0-75% in several grazings. Occasioally all.Nodens, Rescue Remedy, and ½ pouch Fortiflora

1st Dessert Fancy Feast dry

2nd Dessert A few licks of French Vanilla Ice Cream. I get a dirty look if it’s not Turkey Hill and puff noise if it’s another type of vanilla.

3rd Dessert If he asks 5 Greenies He won’t eat more and complains if less

He drinks well. Big Pees a few times a day and always has. He peed after breakfast. My partner cleans the boxes and not up yet so I don’t know how his recent poops are.

He lives with 2 17mt kittens that he allows to exist on his terms and they respect that.

He does seem older this week. But had his 5 min chase with Luna last night. Sqeek is 6lb, small build. Luna is 10lb long tall slender oriental build. She is very good at balancing giving him a fight and being gentle enough to not hurt him and she always lets Sqeeker win. Sqeek also let 16lb Leo lick his face once last night. He'll let Leo sleep almost touching next to him and touch noses occassionally. Mostly if Leo gets excited or playful with Sqeek, Sqeek will hiss and hold his head. Leo just lays down and looks up at Sqeeker adoringly.

The lick, I'm not sure if I should be hopeful for closer friendship or worried that Sqeek is unwell.

The blood scares me. The vet has no more appt for today and you have to call 1st thing in the morning for a "sick" appt. I'm on the cancelation call list. I don't think it's an emergency but if it happens again I might.

Is this common? There was no bile just very clear slightly red liquid.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance it was stomach acids mixed with some coloration from his food, rather than blood? Stomach acids can look clear and don't necessarily have to contain bile, but the color can be influenced by previously eaten food.

Although Feeby (19+yo) has always been a grazer, she never eats much at one time. And she manages somehow to never finish a 3 oz can of food in a day. However, she, too, gets other food/treats, especially in the evening, and I think she 'saves room' for those!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any chance it was stomach acids mixed with some coloration from his food, rather than blood? Stomach acids can look clear and don't necessarily have to contain bile, but the color can be influenced by previously eaten food.
I'm hoping that's all it is. It was before I fed him but the dry is always out and does have a red/brown color and he was gagging so it could be stomach acid.

He seems himself and ate his morning treat when my partner got up.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I, too, thought about too much stomach acid. My older cats used to do this once in awhile, although I never noticed any tinge of color. As long as he is acting like himself and this doesn't start happening on a regular basis, I don't think it's an emergency. But it never hurts to have him checked by your Vet when you can get an appointment. They can actually prescribe something for that. We used to give one of ours antacids in the form of injections because she was so hard to pill :rolleyes2: