Blood in cats stool

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats have blood in their stool. We have been trying to introduce one of them but have had bad experiences so we are separating the new one in her own room for a while. The new cats stool has been normal up until now. It’s soft and there is blood Resident cat has had issues with diarrhea for a while on and off even before new cat came in. We were thinking of switching to a different type of food to see if it helps. Right now hers is also soft with blood. They both act normal and like nothing is wrong.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've pet-sat cats that had this issue, and my kitty with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) had it during flare-ups. It can have a variety of causes, including food sensitivities, parasites, anal gland issues, and even stress!
One of the kitties I pet sat would pee blood when stressed also, poor girl. When her mommy came back home from a trip it would stop again.
Do any diet changes slowly to allow them time to adjust. Diet could help, but it could also just be the stress of meeting a new cat.

I hope they feel better soon!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible, since I think you did start the introductions, that one cat gave the other cat something that is causing this. You did mentioned the resident cat already had an issue before the arrival of the new cat. Have you taken resident cat to the Vet to be checked out? Also, was the new cat checked out? That's the first thing I would do if it hasn't already been done. If they both have a clean bill of health, then certainly a change in food is warranted, and as mentioned above, do it slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible, since I think you did start the introductions, that one cat gave the other cat something that is causing this. You did mentioned the resident cat already had an issue before the arrival of the new cat. Have you taken resident cat to the Vet to be checked out? Also, was the new cat checked out? That's the first thing I would do if it hasn't already been done. If they both have a clean bill of health, then certainly a change in food is warranted, and as mentioned above, do it slowly.
Yes we talked to our vet before and they just gave her a syringe of medicine so I’m not sure. We did take the new cat to the vet and she got dewormed, her vaccines, tested for Felv and Fiv, and spayed. This didn’t start with her until we put her back in her room so I’m guessing she’s stressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Purina One Plus Sensitive Skin and Stomach or the Iams Sensitive Digestion and Skin food?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes we talked to our vet before and they just gave her a syringe of medicine so I’m not sure. We did take the new cat to the vet and she got dewormed, her vaccines, tested for Felv and Fiv, and spayed. This didn’t start with her until we put her back in her room so I’m guessing she’s stressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Purina One Plus Sensitive Skin and Stomach or the Iams Sensitive Digestion and Skin food?
Are those two foods ones you are thinking of switching to, or what you are feeding now? Years ago one of my guys used to vomit frequently so we switched to Purina One Sensitive Stomach and it stopped the vomiting. That's my only experience. Since then we switched to all wet or raw food so I'm no expert on kibble. You might want to start up a thread in our Nutrition Forum if you have specific questions about foods that don't get answered in this thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes those are the ones we are thinking of switching too! I really would prefer to feed a wet diet but family members can’t stand the smell of the wet food and I’m not sure about other areas but it is more costly here.:(
Thankyou for your help!