Blood Blisters?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Didymus, my one year old cat, was licking her toes when I noticed these red blisters on the pads of her paws. Some of the pads are also cracked. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and was only grooming when I saw them. I'm from the south where it gets *very* hot and I'm thinking that maybe she stepped on hot asphalt and burned herself. Just give your opinion so I can help Miss Didy.
20180715_003247.jpg
20180715_003243.jpg

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what they are but they don’t look like burns. Burns are filled with clear, not bloody, fluid. Also, I would expect burns to be on the part of the pad most in contact with the hot road, but in the first photo, the blister is off to the side of the pad. Hope that makes sense. Are cracks in the pads the dry areas towards the front in the first photo?

Good luck to you and Miss Didymus (great name). Let us know what it turns out to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what they are but they don’t look like burns. Burns are filled with clear, not bloody, fluid. Also, I would expect burns to be on the part of the pad most in contact with the hot road, but in the first photo, the blister is off to the side of the pad. Hope that makes sense. Are cracks in the pads the dry areas towards the front in the first photo?

Good luck to you and Miss Didymus (great name). Let us know what it turns out to be.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the name. ×D it was Sir Didymus, like in Labyrinth, but then Sir Didymus had kittens and became Miss Didymus.

The red blisters are on both of her back paws, both on the central pad (the biggest one, idk what to call it) and the dry cracks are on the tiny pads. Could it just be a simple blood blister that appeared for no reason and will fade over time? Cause that would be awesome.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t being a bit sarcastic about the name. I love it!

Sure, I could be just plain old blood blisters. I’m just suspicious of them appearing on two feet at the same time. Just keep an eye on them, I would say. And on her, just in case. And let us know what happens.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I know you are concerned about your cat and I'm glad you came here for support but it's difficult for us to diagnose the exact problem. There's a possibility it could be an autoimmune illness called Pododermatitis. However, this is something that has to be diagnosed by a vet and I hesitate to even attempt a diagnosis since the members on this forum do not have a veterinary background. For that reason I strongly recommend keeping her indoors for the time being and encourage you to contact your vet first thing tomorrow morning. Here is a thread on this subject for your information:
Plasma Cell Pododermatitis

Please call your vet and keep us updated on Miss Didy's progress. :goodluck:

Last edited:

Ham&Ruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miss Didymus, my one year old cat, was licking her toes when I noticed these red blisters on the pads of her paws. Some of the pads are also cracked. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and was only grooming when I saw them. I'm from the south where it gets *very* hot and I'm thinking that maybe she stepped on hot asphalt and burned herself. Just give your opinion so I can help Miss Didy. View attachment 242178View attachment 242179 .
I know this thread was quite some time ago but my cat has the exact same thing!! She lays on the heat vents all the time and her paws are also dry and cracked. But she has the same blister thing on her back paw. We took her to the vet and she's on antibiotics and we may need to do a biopsy. But I'm wondering what the outcome was for your cat because this is the only thing I've found that looks like what Ruby has!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this thread was quite some time ago but my cat has the exact same thing!! She lays on the heat vents all the time and her paws are also dry and cracked. But she has the same blister thing on her back paw. We took her to the vet and she's on antibiotics and we may need to do a biopsy. But I'm wondering what the outcome was for your cat because this is the only thing I've found that looks like what Ruby has!
It turned out to be sap that was getting stuck on her paws. She would chew it off and cause these blisters. It caused an infection in all four of her paws and she was put on antibiotics for it.