Blockage Anxiety!!

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8y/o boy is scheduled to come home today after a three day vet stay. He's had a catheter and IV treatments for all three days and honestly this just kind of knocked me flat on my butt. I am absolutely terrified of bringing him home, and out of the clean safe vet environment. He's never really had any previous health issues and this came as a huge shock. I will absolutely be switching him to a canned food only diet *which is fine, he prefers canned food*
Can anyone please calm my mind about bringing him home and maybe some after care tips? He's my best friend and I want to give him the happiest healthiest life I possibly can.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who needed to be catheterized for 5 days. Bringing him home was scary too. But he did fantastic, although is was a long and slow recovery.
Do you know what medications he will be sent home with? Mine had an anti-inflammatory, a relaxant for muscle spasms of the bladder and urethra, an antibiotic, (just to be safe, because the catheter could have introduced bacteria), and an anti depressant to keep him calm and to stimulate his appetite.
As I said, it was a long process so I'll try to keep this short, but sorry for the long post anyway....:popcorn:
When we first brought him home, he was stoned and we kept him pretty drugged up so don't expect a playful kitty as first. :chillpill: He was on his meds for a few weeks, and during this time the sizes of his pees in the litter box were only an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. So not very big, but as long as he's peeing, that's good. :yess: He was also incontinent (can happen due to the catheter), he would leak randomly, so we kept him in his own room for the most part, but if we brought him out to be with us, we kept him on a pee pad so he wouldn't mess our furniture. He was still pretty lethargic because of the meds so he didn't move much. :drool:
Fast forward about a month and his pee sizes have grown a bit, but he's still leaking. He's developed a secondary issue not related to the urination problem, so he was still not himself, but he was starting to regain control of his bladder.
In all it took almost three months for him to get completely back to normal, but some of that was because of the secondary issue.
I'm not telling you this to freak you out :fear:but to make sure you see that recovery takes time, so please don't stress if you think he's not getting better as fast as you think he should.
As long as he eats and uses his litter box. Take to heart that that is great!:thumbsup:
I'm sure you'll both do great. You have a lot of experience and support to draw from on this site, so please keep us updated on his recovery! :heartshape::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.
I have literally been weeping over my food and desk and basically wherever I am, all day long. I work full time so I have to have friends and family informed and watching him while I'm at work. So that's even scarier honestly. They took his catheter out about an hour ago and now I'm just playing the waiting game. Wish us luck!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you'll both do great. I would just create a comfy, quiet space for your little boy. Lots of blankest and beds, to snuggle on. Keep the litter box near and his food and water close by. We even played relaxing music (a CD specially made for cats) for him. We let him sleep, as much as he wanted (sleep heals), and cuddled him when he was "awake".
Keep in mind that cats can feel what we feel. So try your best to stay calm and positive.
I'm sending you good vibes!!!!:vibes::vibes::heartshape::goodluck:

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have a question.!
Was your fur bubby catheterized, and if so, did they make him stay until he peed to be safe?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was catheterized for 5 days due to idiopathic cystitis. They removed the catheter late morning on the 5th day, and monitored him to make sure he did not re block, which I assume means they also ensured he could pee on his own. They called in the afternoon, saying we could pick him up at the end of the day, during that conversation is when they mentioned about the removal of the catheter, and the fact that he was peeing and eating, which is why they were confident that we could bring him home.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't happen to remember how long it took him to pee after they removed the catheter would you? I'm having a major panic attack worrying about him being able to pee. They were going to remove it around noon, and I haven't heard anything since. *pee updates and such.* I know I worry probably too much. I just don't want to lose my sweet Mei boy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't really know how long it took. They just said that he did. But even after we took him home and he settled in, he only peed 4-5 times in a 24 hour period. Sometimes it was only 3 times. And when we first brought him home he didn't pee for the first 8 or so hours, although he did leak, as I mentioned, he was incontinent as well. Not being on IV fluids anymore and only relying on what he consumed/ate, it is understandable that he would not pee as much. I totally get how worrying it is, but I'm sure your vet would not let you take him home if they weren't confident that he could manage on his own. Have you thought about just calling your vet to ease your mind? They usually don't mind giving updates.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for being so kind :redtabby:
I will call the vet in just a little bit to see how he's doing. I'll update when he gets back home! :hearthrob::hearthrob:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries!!:D I've been where you are! :alright:
And please do give an update!:heartshape:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't happen to remember how long it took him to pee after they removed the catheter would you?
I'm pretty sure I had to wait about 6 hours once.
It's all a blur after awhile. We blocked three times and then did the surgery.
But geez...after the surgery...
Okay he had his surgery on a Wednesday afternoon and had an empty bladder the next day all by himself so we picked him up Thursday evening.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update : they had to express his bladder for him after the catheter was removed. I'm really afraid right now. He's home with me to relax, but if he hasn't peed by morning he's going back in. If this doesn't work I'm faced with either putting my best friend to sleep or risking the PU surgery thats basically a 50/50 chance that he'll be OK. I don't want him to be in pain anymore but he's only 8. I don't know what to do.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GUYS ITS A FREAKIN MIRACLE.:welcomeback1::goldstar:
HE PEED!!
I took him home last night waiting to see what he would do. And around 2am he peed a pretty steady stream. I took him back to his doctor this morning for a check up. She did an ultrasound and called me to say 'HIS BLADDER LOOKS FINE AND HE CANE COME HOME' .:runaround::runaround:
sorry if this is a bit manic but man, I am so relieved.

chunkykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just reading through and I am adding my own Yay! Such a scary thing for both of you to go through.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mei mei is home and already had his first pee!! :hyper:
I'm legit sobbing with relief

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic! :yess: So glad for both of you!!!:hyper:

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update!
He's gone pee and has also finally gone number two a little bit. He's eating and everything! Still hiding because he's has been back and forth to the vet and is probably still a bit traumatized. He's even playing a little! He gets really stressed when I have to give him his prazosin though. Which I hate doing.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news! :woo: So glad he's doing well! :yess:

He gets really stressed when I have to give him his prazosin though. Which I hate doing.
He'll forgive you, he knows you love him. :catlove: I hate having to give meds to my cat also, but I always follow up the meds with his favorite treat and kisses and he calms right down. As hard as it is to be the cause of the stress, just keep telling yourself that you're doing a great job (because you are!!!) and that there is an end in sight!

:rock: