Bloated kitten

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! We just got a new kitten and we noticed his belly is very very bloated. He is very skinny, except his belly, which is huge. He has had a dewormer but no worms came out. He's very playful and affectionate, doesn't seem to be in any pain. Any idea what the bloating might be? He's also drinking a lot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is your kitten? It’s completely normal for a young kitten to have what seems like a bloated kitten belly. Kittens grow fast and can get large bellies.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just turned 2 months recently, so very young! Pretty sure it's a he. We've had kittens before of the same age/younger and they've never been bloated like this before. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last edited:

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has but the vet didn't say anything about his belly. It seems maybe smaller today, I'm thinking he could just be a really gassy little boy. His coat is kind of hard to tell if it's dull or not as he's getting over a bad case of fleas. He was a stray and probably didn't get enough milk, so he is likely malnourished. That's probably all it is and I'm just paranoid. ^^; Once he is 2 pounds he will be going back to the vet for shots though.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d make sure you’re keeping up on vet appointments. For worming to be most effective in kittens, he should get a second dose in 2 weeks. If he had fleas, I’d make sure the wormer includes tapeworm dewormer.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: His bloating has gone down, and now he's only a bit bloated. :) l