Blinds And Cat Safety?

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasnt sure where to put this-mods move as appropriate.

For those of you that have blinds' do you make any modifications to make them safer for your kitty? Mine had a string that was "closed", like a loop-i cut it so its open, and now theres just 2 loose stings hanging down, not a hoop she can get caught up in. Is there anything else i can do?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can install blind cord safety devices on the side of the window frame high up so your cat can't reach it but you can still easily adjust the blinds. These are sold as child safety items. Or DIY one using Command hooks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, ill check them out :) im moving soon and id like to not even have blinds-they just end up with a cat sized hole anyway, lol.. but for now i have them & want to be safe.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate blinds :cringe: Cats like to rattle the slats just to annoy you :angrywoman: Maybe in your new place you can replace the blinds (if there are any) with regular shades. If you later move, just put the blinds back up.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I leave the bottom of the blinds open a tad bit so my cats can see out the window without messing them up. Here is a pic for reference:
20180802_191155.jpg

Then, I got some super cheap Blind Cord Wraps from Amazon & wrapped all the blind cords in my house to the top of the window. Like this:
20180802_191302.jpg

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yess! Thats how Honeybunny wakes me up for breakfast (at 5:30 am), she hops on the windowsill and fiddles with the blinds making them go clackety clackety intil i get up and feed her.

No blinds in the new place :)

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks abby, i might try the blind chord wraps ,:)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave the bottom of the blinds open a tad bit so my cats can see out the window without messing them up. Here is a pic for reference:
View attachment 245799

Then, I got some super cheap Blind Cord Wraps from Amazon & wrapped all the blind cords in my house to the top of the window. Like this:
View attachment 245800
This is exactly what I do. Except I used two command strip hooks to create my own cord wrap (if you go down this route you have to put up the bottom hook upside down).

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually love the blinds at my new place. We've moved from a 1st floor to a 2nd floor apartment. With the way Smokey lunges at insects on the other side of the window's screen, its a comfort knowing that if she somehow breaks the screen, she won't fall out the window. Keeping the blinds down also discourages her from lunging at the screen, so its a great preventative!