Blind Kitten Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Magpie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is my first post here. My husband and I have a small informal cat sanctuary. As of now we have 16 cats. Yesterday we brought home a 5 month old kitten from our local shelter a couple days ago. She also got fixed that day too. In the shelter we noticed that she might be blind or at least mostly blind because she did not respond to visual stimuli but would respond when she heard talking. Her paperwork said nothing at all about her being blind but I did see that she was taken to the shelter in early June and from June through August they had to give her medication for something but the paperwork didn’t say what for. She is very, very sweet. She’s also super underweight and skeletal although it’s hard to see because she has medium length fur. Now I know the shelter is very stressful and I don’t know if she was born blind or her prior illness did it, but she does not play at all. No toys, not even noisy ones at all. She’s not fearful and doesn’t have any interest in the other cats/kittens. She mostly just lays around or wanders occasionally which I get it, she’s got to explore and get used to things. It’s just she seems so depressed. Has anyone had experience with blind cats/kittens? Is this familiar behavior? Thank you in advance!

6B6BFD4E-B7D8-4FC4-B7BE-DA70FBEC9D11.jpeg

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! One of my foster cats recently lost her sight due to glaucoma which was the result of her being FeLV positive (her first test was negative).
As far as her behavior, she may be depressed or may be ill. What concerns me is you stated her paperwork didn't state anything about her lack of sight and the fact the she is underweight. It makes me wonder what she went through at the shelter. Are they willing to answer any questions you have?
Has she ever been tested for FeLv or FIV?
In my situation, she could see and I was socializing her and she got to the point she would be ready for adoption. She then developed uveitis which was being treated. Vet even said he thought she was basically healed, Such was not the case. I noticed she seemed to be unsure when jumping. Then she went and hid under my bathtub and one night she came out screaming (which I assume was the glaucoma as it's painful). Anyway the glaucoma caused her blindness. At first I put her in a very large cage so she could adjust. She eventually wanted to come out. She is doing amazing, she gets up on the bed and other furniture, finds her litter box, water and food. When she still had her sight she would give me love bites and lick my hand. She is now playing and is allowed to play footsies under the door with the other cats.
I'm wondering if your cat was born blind or it recently came on. At her age I wonder how much socialization she had and how much learning she has had to be a cat. ..
I would seek answers from the shelter. If no tests have been run I would strongly suggest those as well; FeLV, FIV and coccidia. I would also start working with her giving her some extra tlc, brushing, chin rubs, place a streaming radio station, cat tv and/or cat music. I make sure she touches the toys I give her and she is playing with a wand toy.
That's all I have for now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would absolutely suggest that you have your own vet check her, simply because of the lack of information on her paperwork concerning either her weight or her sight. At that point, you'll know better what you are dealing with. If she is, indeed, blind, give her some time to get used to the smells and sounds of this new place. It may simply be caution that is keeping her subdued, and if she does not see, or not well, that is very understandable.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may simply be caution that is keeping her subdued, and if she does not see, or not well, that is very understandable.
Along with the excellent suggestions above, and this, I'm also of the mind that she's not depressed in the actual sense. To me if she were she wouldn't be wandering at all, she'd be tucked away somewhere all the time. She might not be a toy motivated kitty yet since she's only been in your place for a day or so, blind or not.

In any case, finding out more regarding her health will help. Being underweight could be another reason she's on the quiet side of things so far. Are you able to feed her frequent meals supplemented with KMR?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest toys for the different senses and putting bells or washers on your other cat’s collars, so she can hear them coming. catnip scented toys or light up balls or toys that crinkle or jingle may get a different response. She may have partial vision.

I second that vet check ASAP! To many unknowns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Magenta Magpie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry :hugs:
Thank you. It turns out she was anemic and the vet spent all of Sunday evening and Monday morning trying to get her back up, but it wasn’t working and then her poor little heart just gave out. I can just say that at least the few days we had her, we totally spoiled and loved on her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. She definitely had the comfort of knowing that she was someone's cat thanks to your kindness. Thank you for all you are doing for the cats in your care.

When a cat passes, we close the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute to this little girl in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are welcome to do so.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.