Blind cat running in circles

MsPrudence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a blind cat about a month ago and I've noticed she runs in tight little circles a couple times a day for several minutes at a time. I know this can be a sign of disorientation or being lost, but that doesn't seem to be the case with her. She simply paces in a small circle, gathering speed until she gets too dizzy, then she stumbles, pauses for a few moments, then resumes. She doesn't try to feel her way around the room to figure out where she is, and when she's done she usually heads straight for her bowl or the couch, indicating she knows where she is. Could this just be her getting energy out? I play with her any time she wants to play, and she has tons of toys and things to climb, but the one time I saw her try to actually run, she immediately bumped into something and stopped, and a few minutes later I saw her pacing in circles. Am I correct in assuming this is probably just a way to burn off pent up energy, or should I be concerned? She might have had some head trauma three years ago when she went blind, but I don't know for sure. If this is just her burning off energy, does anyone have any ideas for how I could make it easier for her? I feel so bad because she's clearly making herself dizzy, but short of a kitty treadmill I'm at a loss for what could be done.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought would be a neurologic issue. I suggest discussing her behavior with your vet. I'd be more inclined to do this sooner rather than later.

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought would be a neurologic issue. I suggest discussing her behavior with your vet. I'd be more inclined to do this sooner rather than later.
Definitely. This could be a sign of stroke (recent or past), or some other brain injury, perhaps related to her blindness.

If a vet visit confirms all is normal, then there could be another explanation.

Turning circles is one of a few somewhat bizarre behaviours (jumping, rocking and eye-poking are others) which can occur in blind children, particularly those born blind. I've no idea as to whether cats born blind might display similar tendencies, but it may explain what's going on.

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can be caused by inner ear infections, injury, or polyps as well.  There's a cat at the Blind Cat Rescue who does the same thing because of an old injury (if I remember right).