Bland-food suggestions for cat who doesn’t want bland food

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gracie’s in the midst of major digestive upset due to stress (dental cleaning and one extraction last week). The vets she’s seen have both suggested feeding bland, easy to digest foods only for a couple of days to help her colitis calm down… but she’s an extremely picky eater and has already rejected boiled chicken and Royal Canin’s prescription gastro food. I feel like she needs something smelly and palatable, but bland… which doesn’t really exist.

She loves FortiFlora, so I sprinkled it on the chicken, and she refused. Then I aded water and made it soupy… she took a few licks and that was the end of that.

Would tuna or salmon in water be bland? I’ve tried looking for meat-only baby food, but the two grocery stores I checked had none!

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance for any tips!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think some 'juice' from canned tuna in water being mixed with either the chicken or the RC might be enough to entice her? I suppose you could do the same with salmon that has been canned in water.

Can you also do an internet search for baby food meat? Don't know where you are located, but Walmart carries it, as do some of the pharmacies.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know where you are located, but Walmart carries it, as do some of the pharmacies.
I was going to suggest Walmart, too. Our cats love Beechnut in chicken or turkey, I sometimes even feed it to them as a treat.

After one of our cats had stomach surgery last summer her first meals were Beechnut baby food and Sheba chicken with extra water. Sheba is very soft, too, so good after dental work. Nulo makes some pouch foods that are also very plain and lappable. There's chicken/duck as well as kitten food. They're pricy but very good food.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and lisahe lisahe — I’m looking for the baby food, but thought I’d see if there might be something else I could use, as well. I may try the tuna water + boiled chicken.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracie’s in the midst of major digestive upset due to stress (dental cleaning and one extraction last week). The vets she’s seen have both suggested feeding bland, easy to digest foods only for a couple of days to help her colitis calm down… but she’s an extremely picky eater and has already rejected boiled chicken and Royal Canin’s prescription gastro food. I feel like she needs something smelly and palatable, but bland… which doesn’t really exist.

She loves FortiFlora, so I sprinkled it on the chicken, and she refused. Then I aded water and made it soupy… she took a few licks and that was the end of that.

Would tuna or salmon in water be bland? I’ve tried looking for meat-only baby food, but the two grocery stores I checked had none!

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance for any tips!
We did Purina EN for Magnus during gastro upset and he is super picky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news: Gracie's appetite returned today, and she's now happily (sometimes eagerly!) eating all the bland food (boiled chicken et al.) she rejected just 24 hours ago!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news: Gracie's appetite returned today, and she's now happily (sometimes eagerly!) eating all the bland food (boiled chicken et al.) she rejected just 24 hours ago!
That's great to hear! It can take them time after dental procedures -- I hope she's eating normally again soon.