Bladder Stones

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So I adopted this new kitty, her name is Jigglypuff (Jiggy for short, though her name was Cannelle). The clinic I work for had a call that the previous owner wanted to euthanize her, as she was urinating everywhere. The cat had previous urinary issues, but the owner didn't want to listen to what we had to say and didn't want to spend money on Jiggy. So, the vet took her in. We took x-rays and she has a bladder full of stones. My vet estimates ~50 uroliths (not sure what that means exactly). She was put on urinary food in hopes it helps dissolve some of the stones. She was also immediately put on some pain meds, as she was clearly very uncomfortable.
So I guess my question is this :

Does the food really do something? She is on a mix of Hill's Metabolic/Urinary/Stress and Purina UR st/ox can food. Also, when I put her up, she always meows. As if she is in pain. Could it be the stones in her bladder? Or her just not liking her chubby body being picked up?

In September, she is getting her teeth cleaned/removed and my vet will also remove any stones that may still be there.

Thank you (I'll post a picture of her in the next comment)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way I understand it, it depends on the type of stones. If they are struvite they can be dissolved by making the urine more acidic which is what the prescription food does. If they are oxalate stones then they will have to be removed surgically.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself had surgery for bladder stones. She had repeated urinary infections with blood and after repeated antibiotics we realized that it was a bigger issue. It was a completely successful surgery, she lived for years longer and she was not young when she had the surgery. Your vet will advise about diet after the surgery. Your baby is so lucky that you took her and the vet was kind to give her a chance as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby had oxalate stones and had them removed surgically in 2010. She was put on Hill's C/D (initially dry, and more recently I added canned), and she has been on it since. Although possibly counter-intuitive, I also feed her Royal Canin SO to prevent crystals forming from sediment build up. No stones have recurred to date; and no sediment has developed, even with a few UTIs that she has had. So, while I know a lot of people don't approve of these urinary care foods, it has worked for Feeby.

I am sure there are alternative options out there, it just takes some serious homework to find foods that avoid/include the related ingredients in urinary care when compared to other foods not specified for urinary issues. I am actually starting to look myself for some other foods that will suffice for Feeby.

How old is your girl? Feeby is 15+ and is a bit overweight. The older she gets, the less she likes to be picked up - but she has never been one to like to be carried around much. I attribute it not only to her weight, but some arthritis as well - which can crop up in an overweight cat faster than it might one that is of normal size. Feeby probably had a bit of arthritis going on by the time she hit 10.